Planning for Backpacks during covid19

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Planning for Backpacks during covid19

Post by robertseeburger »

Getting help from friends.
IMG_2656.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Re: Planning for Backpacks during covid19

Post by Mike M. »

As I view your photo above, one of my furry cats is in my way, begging for attention and pushing her face into my knuckles as I try to type. Loved your photo!

Mike
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

robertseeburger wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:58 am Getting help from friends.
How do you protect your topographic maps from getting damaged / wet / old ? Do you take them with you ? Ty.

Josiah *
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Responding to Josiahspurr about maps

I am old school about maps. I take them with me. I fold them up. I put the most relevant one in my pocket. I refer to them frequently.
Then get dirty, get crease marks, get frayed. Sometimes wet, but I am pretty good about keeping them dry. I have lost a couple with this process. When I go again and again to the same area, I sometimes have to replace them because they are so beat up. I have seen people who put them in plastic wrap to keep them pristine. Not for me. And I so far at least have rejected anything electronic.
If they ever make iPhone batteries that are guaranteed for a 1 or 2 week backpack, I might change that..but so far, I like to have my maps. And it doesn't bother me at all if they get beat up. There is a certain satisfaction of having a well used map.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Agreed. Map stays right in my front pocket. Note that inkjet printed maps become worthless when wet. I do have the electronic backup though.