Cross-country from Aloha to Grass Lake?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Talimon
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Cross-country from Aloha to Grass Lake?

Post by Talimon »

So I’ve avoided Desolation over the years, due to the reputation for crowds. But now that I’m a new dad, my wife has convinced me we should give it a try, and take the baby. We did a test run trip a couple weeks ago to Dardanelles lake, and are now trying for 3-4 nights in Desolation. We got a first-night permit going in to Grass Lake from Glenn Alpine.

First question is how would you spend nights 2, 3 and 4?

Question 2 is if you were hoping to see Lake Aloha (I’ve never been), could you make it a loop with a manageable XC return to Grass Lake? I see a drainage from Jabu lake on the map that leads right down, but the contour lines look awfully tight for carrying a 13 month old on the back. We have done a bunch of XC, but the goal posts shift a bit with precious cargo in tow. Does anyone have experience with that area and know if there is a logical route there?
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cross-country from Aloha to Grass Lake?

Post by wildhiker »

I don't know about any cross-country routes on the slopes down to Grass Lake, but I have taken the rough trail further east from the Triangle Lake area north down the slope back to the Glen Alpine trailhead. It has some extremely steep rocky sections. There is no way I would carry a 13 month old down that trail, so I probably wouldn't do it cross-country above Grass Lake. (And I do know about carrying 13 month olds - I did that for all three of my children and now my grandchild).
-Phil
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

How far (distance and elevation) can you get in a day with your added little burden?
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Talimon
Topix Acquainted

Post by Talimon »

maiathebee wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:52 am How far (distance and elevation) can you get in a day with your added little burden?
We can do about 6 miles before the passenger starts complaining. Less concerned about elevation, we are pretty strong climbers.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Would not recommend it for any children, much less a person with a baby. From a distance, have looked at that route carefully and know it would go for me once snows were melted off the steep areas.

In 2018, I backpacked from Grassy to Heather via the Heather outlet creek. That jagged metamorphic geology makes off trail terrain travel tedious making one monkey about at times even on mild map gradients. Worse are nasty areas of chinquapin one needs to constantly dodge along with mountain mahogany and manzanita. So bad, I bet no one has gone around Grass lake in decades.

https://www.davidsenesac.com/2018_Trip_ ... 018-6.html
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Nope. I've done the down climb from Jabu with a climbing partner, pro, and a rope. Even then, sketch.

Jabu Lake - looking north, slightly northeast
Maybe if you stay north, but it's super loose. Not worth it.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Talimon wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:51 am
maiathebee wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:52 am How far (distance and elevation) can you get in a day with your added little burden?
We can do about 6 miles before the passenger starts complaining. Less concerned about elevation, we are pretty strong climbers.
You could do a lollipop semi-loop, counterclockwise. From Grass head back down to the trail then up to Lake Aloha, then the next day up over Mosquito Pass and then down the valley, cutting over to the Velmas. Either stop there or keep going to Fontanillis. The day if you were at Velmas, you could go to Dicks, or Fontanillis to keep it chill. Or if you're feeling up for it, go up and over Dicks Pass this day and over to Half Moon. Then back out your final day. It's about 29 miles without the spur to Half Moon.

Night 1 Grass Lake
Night 2 Lake Aloha
Night 3 Fontanillis or Velmas
Night 4 Half Moon Lake
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I've taken the 'shortcut' from Grass to Heather many, many times. It's not bad at all.
Using that route, it's only 2.25-2.5 miles as opposed to 5.25-5.5 miles via Susie.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman