TR: LTE to Italy, Pine Creek, and Selden Passes (and back)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: LTE to Italy, Pine Creek, and Selden Passes (and back)

Post by windknot »

Nope if your permit started from Mono Creek then you were at the right trailhead. I guess I was more just curious why you decided to start from Mono Creek instead of from the Bear Ridge TH -- I've never hiked out of the latter and don't hear about folks using it much, but it has a dedicated FS page so just wanted to know if there was a specific reason to avoid it when heading south from Edison (and not having a high-clearance vehicle for starting from Bear Diversion).

Either way, you're obviously a much stronger hiker than me so it doesn't sound like those extra miles hampered you on this trip at all. Nicely done.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Thanks for the report - and agree with the "stunning" (to me) start at Honeymoon Lake and then sleeping that night at Sally Keyes. I mapped the miles and looks close to 18 miles plus and not always flat either. It put those (trail) distances in perspective for me though if one has the ability to cover distance like that. Not too much of an option for me any more, but useful to know for a severe "push day" if in a crunch!

Mmmmmm...seem like whenever I see a post about Lake Italy it's a weather fest! Maybe that region is a magnet for storms as it has been the opposite here [north of SF] with near zero wind or "weather" save smoke. Had presumed not much was cooking in the mountains like v. when that lightning front moved in causing the fires, etc. I use Mammoth Lakes forecast as proxy for a "vague high mountains weather guess". However, then realized that I could not see exact dates when you did your trip - so your posting date may not reflect when you actually went. When were you up there if I can ask?

Can you also comment on why the LTE ferry was not operating? Theoretically it is even with Covid, so wondering if it was a mechanical blip?

Thanks again ~ Michaelzim
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

@michaelzim, the Edison ferry looks to be closed as of August 13 due to low water conditions.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

bwd wrote:
There is a (seemingly unnamed) pass directly west of Mt Julius Caesar's peak that I arrived at. Looking into the valley below I realized things didn't look at all right (that basin looked extremely lonely).
I once crossed that same pass, and found the north side of it the worst loose boulder slope I've ever experienced. I call it "Never Again Pass." Your chosen route was great... other than reaching that wrong pass, about which I'll keep my sage advice to myself, since unlike your more canny self, when I recently found myself on the wrong pass, I still didn't know it, and merrily ran on down the wrong side, and wandered off into the sunset! You covered some amazing ground, and did it very fast. I hope you weren't racing against your worsening injury- good luck with that.

It sounds like you met the Sooty Grouse, A(formerly)KA the Blue Grouse, but you'll have to wait a few more years to hear California's Gray wolves howl.... though I believe some have made as far as the Mount Lassen area.

We too have really enjoyed the view north from Selden, and isn't Marie a beautiful lake? Great trip bwd, thanks for the very nice post. Ian and Lizzie.

*I can add a couple images from some of the places you traveled, just as some HST friends once did for me when I forgot the little camera:

gemini trip 160.jpg
Granite Park.

gemini trip 162.jpg
Pine Creek Lakes.

gemini trip 007.jpg
View west down from near Pine Creek Pass

summer2009 355.jpg
View north across Marie Lake from Selden Pass.

summer2009 307.jpg
Marie Lake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.