Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Post Reply
User avatar
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Posts: 2723
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:38 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

Post by AlmostThere » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:01 pm

A managed burn went out of control just a few years ago, closed the road to Crane Flat and torched the area around Tamarack Campground. Not sure they are so great at picking conditions or managing things as all that...








User avatar
rlown
Topix Docent
Posts: 7605
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Wilton, CA

Re: Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

Post by rlown » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Here's a concept.. This is the wrong time of year to even think of burning given the lack of rain. Just get over the campfire concept. It's not that hard.

Bring your stove.. make sure there's no punk near it, and cook your food that way.

Why is this hard?

User avatar
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:00 pm
Experience: N/A

Re: Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

Post by Satsuma » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:25 pm

rlown wrote:Here's a concept.. This is the wrong time of year to even think of burning given the lack of rain. Just get over the campfire concept. It's not that hard.

Bring your stove.. make sure there's no punk near it, and cook your food that way.

Why is this hard?
It is not hard but some food cooked on the real fire taste better. And sitting near the fire at cold night also gives some pleasant feeling, which is part of being in wilderness. And to have fire once in few days to burn some paper packaging, candy wraps and such is also good.It would not be same pleasure without any fire.

User avatar
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Posts: 2723
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:38 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

Post by AlmostThere » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:55 pm

Satsuma wrote:
rlown wrote:Here's a concept.. This is the wrong time of year to even think of burning given the lack of rain. Just get over the campfire concept. It's not that hard.

Bring your stove.. make sure there's no punk near it, and cook your food that way.

Why is this hard?
It is not hard but some food cooked on the real fire taste better. And sitting near the fire at cold night also gives some pleasant feeling, which is part of being in wilderness. And to have fire once in few days to burn some paper packaging, candy wraps and such is also good.It would not be same pleasure without any fire.
And all those things are largely a matter of opinion. I take pictures and report people who MUST have a fire when there's bans - I prefer not to have my favorite areas turned to an ash covered wasteland just so someone can experience a "pleasant feeling."

It's possible to have a wonderful experience without lighting a single twig. You plan for it, you live with it, and - like I have - you alter your expectations and presto! It's not a trip-ruiner at all.

DO NOT burn paper packaging that has plasticized liner such as is popular to do these days with all manner of food wrappers - plastic burning is TOXIC to you and the environment. PACK IT OUT.

User avatar
mediauras
Topix Acquainted
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:21 pm
Experience: N/A
Location: Oakland

Re: Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

Post by mediauras » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:00 pm

yeah, seriously, don't burn your trash. pack your toxins out.

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/p ... dpi300.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:00 pm
Experience: N/A

Re: Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

Post by Satsuma » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:50 pm

AlmostThere wrote:I prefer not to have my favorite areas turned to an ash covered wasteland just so someone can experience a "pleasant feeling."
Come on. We never make a new ash area, always reuse existing one, which serve many people for many years. I make a point to teach my children to make a fire and to cook simple food on the fire. You never know what could happen in future with them. You can't always rely on stoves and gas, it could be some disaster, when skills to make a fire and to cook something would be life saving. And also fire could help you stay warm.

User avatar
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:00 pm
Experience: N/A

Re: Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

Post by Satsuma » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:53 pm

mediauras wrote:yeah, seriously, don't burn your trash. pack your toxins out.

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/p ... dpi300.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link. Interesting, I never thought this way.

User avatar
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:11 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Camas, WA

Re: Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

Post by Tom_H » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:21 am

Take only memories. Make only pictures. Leave only footprints.

User avatar
bluefish
Topix Acquainted
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:45 am
Experience: N/A

Re: Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

Post by bluefish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:51 am

To each their own; I haven't had a fire in the Sierra since '80. I tremendously appreciate those who practice LNT. I at least like the illusion that an area isn't overrun with people. Fire rings attract trash and toxins and invite more fires . When all the consumable material is gathered in an area, people are tempted to burn things that are questionable and damaging to the surroundings, LNT looks to the future , other methods of camping are for those that only see the present. It's not the least bit of surprise to me that when I've been rudely disturbed by other hikers at night with loud noise and noxious behavior, fires were at the center of it.

User avatar
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Posts: 2723
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:38 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Where camp fires are not allowed this season?

Post by AlmostThere » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:10 am

Satsuma wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:I prefer not to have my favorite areas turned to an ash covered wasteland just so someone can experience a "pleasant feeling."
Come on. We never make a new ash area, always reuse existing one, which serve many people for many years. I make a point to teach my children to make a fire and to cook simple food on the fire. You never know what could happen in future with them. You can't always rely on stoves and gas, it could be some disaster, when skills to make a fire and to cook something would be life saving. And also fire could help you stay warm.
Don't mistake what I am saying - campfires ARE A LEADING CAUSE OF FOREST FIRES.

I have had to douse many, many, many poorly put out fires. Some had rejuvenated themselves and were licking away at charred sticks left in the ring.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: looks easy from here, mattyjoy, wihsie and 11 guests