smartphone solution?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oddtiger
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: smartphone solution?

Post by oddtiger »

I use my iphone for everything you mentioned, and only buy a new one for camera upgrade or if I smash it. Apps that are essential to my phone in backcountry are Gaia GPS (offline map and gps navigation), Caltopo (planned route) and Earthmate (paired with inReach mini). You don't need cell signal for GPS, but you have to download offline map at home to work with gps location, which may add to the budget but well worth it. Entertainment apps for me and my kids in the backcountry are e-books(field book of plants, animals and mushroom), audio books(for death march), Sky Guide (a cool star gazing app that I could use to check/track stars all night). They all work offline.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

For the last couple years i’ve brought a smallish iPhone 6s with gaiagps for map/gos and a camera for pics. When the iPhone went down for the count I replaced it with a 12 pro max.

This summer I brought the new iPhone and a small anker battery. The iPhone was my map, gps, notebook, and camera. It performed all functions better than the old phone, camera, notepad and pencil. Battery life was at least 8 days. I got from Cottonwood to VVR and charged there (probably would have gotten one possibly 2 more days). Had I known this this I would have left the anker at home. Alternatively had I listened to music or had ebooks I would have needed the extra battery.

I like the screen real estate of the larger device. It is always convenient in the HMG shoulder strap pocket. And picture quality rivals my Sony RX100V. It is the best, most useful electronic gadget I’ve owned.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

I'm using an iPhone 12 Pro Max as well - the XS was the first year I felt I could leave my camera behind... saved me two pounds! The large versions have a longer battery life, but higher draw, so if you're trying to recharge over solar vs just carrying one with you that's something to keep in mind (I got the larger one for the better 26mm sensor).

I mainly use GaiaGPS, Halide (I shoot RAW 99% of the time, ProRAW really only for evening shots - I'll edit/manage in LR CC after the trip), and Books. Having secor, roper, and john muir law handy is nice - what other books do people use in the backcountry? I'll rarely put on music - usually if I'm slogging up something and feel tired, and will sometimes read in my tent especially if it's later in the year with longer nights. Skyguide as mentioned earlier is fun to have - a ranger giving a star talk @ vogelsang a few years back was unsure where mars was so I was able to point out it was behind a peak and would be coming out soon. :)

I'm toying with hopping off of Gaia and onto Caltopo, but I'm grandfathered in to a $30 annual plan and would want the $50 on caltopo. Having carrier cell coverage layers in handy for guessing where a pass/peak might get signal (or basins if you're within LOS of frontcountry) but I don't plan on it. I just have a simple PLB so grabbing updated weather forecasts are nice though.

My partner is using my old iPhone XS, and with an ~8oz solar/battery setup both of our phones are topped up without having to think about use indefinitely (exited an 11 day trip with both phones ~70-80% and the anker battery nearly full). A 6600mah battery is ~4oz (nitecore has some better ones than ankor iirc, but mine is still working well) and will get you through some cloudy days etc. The anker battery usually gets between 1/6 to 2/3 charge a day and the low end would be when it's rainy and under a pack cover half the time. If you're mostly above treeline the Sierra are a great lattitude for solar and it's far better than carrying a giant battery bank. Have the solar panel on your pack, when you stop for breaks angle it at the sun, if you leave it as a basecamp for the day pick a spot that won't get shade and have it horizontal on the ground to aim for midday sun when you'll get the most charge. Charge your phones in the tent in evening/morning and just have the panel charge up the battery bank during the day.

If you're doing the AT or up in the PNW a solar bank isn't effecient use of weight, and if you're just doing 3-5 day resupplies a bank is fine, but I really like just having infinite energy (I can top off my NU25 etc with it if needed as well). I do the normal airplane & low power modes, but find june-august at least I can not bother with switching to manual screen brightness and keeping to low which is pleasant.

Zy76tr8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.