Kings Middle Fork 1894 Adventure

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kings Middle Fork 1894 Adventure

Post by commonloon »

We've come across the "Ruins" as my friend Clark has labeled them before as well. Didn't see the rifle or pipes, at least my memory, but the stone and mortar work.

I might have to spend a night in the natural house next time I'm down there. Of course, I wouldn't sleep there alone (I'd have company, a few rattlesnakes :eek: ).

What an incredible map! Interesting the GoD on the map is where the Crystal Creek drainage is today (USGS). Is Sunshine falls now Blue Canyon falls also? Can't get over what a cool map that is.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks very much to you and to Richard for producing this great story. I was impressed by the quality of the writing. I too am fascinated with the mining history of the Sierra. What a lot of hard work those people did.

Another point of interest, what do you historians know about this reference to the etymology of the name "Tune Ma?"
The Fisk mine is situated about 100 miles northeast of Sanger on the east side of the middle fork of the Kings river, just above Triple Falls creek, and four miles from Simpson meadow, which is nestled at the foot of Tuna Ma mountain (so called from the profanity which echoed through the mountain fastnesses as the celestials drove their sheep through the rugged and almost impassable defiles in the mountains.) Here, also, Goddard creek joins the river.
"Celestials" will be a reference to Chinese.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
fourputt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by fourputt »

Another point of interest, what do you historians know about this reference to the etymology of the name "Tune Ma?"
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/place ... rra/t.html
druid
Topix Regular

Post by druid »

fourputt wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:11 am
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/place ... rra/t.html
And:

https://www.snwburd.com/bob/etymology/tunemah_1.html
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I've often wondered if the trail leading down from Crown Valley was overlayed on Frank Dusy's original trail. IIRC, Dusy had land in the CV area.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
johnz
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by johnz »

I think I am going to start referring to my liquor as "hard to beat."

Thank you very much for posting this. Their description of heading down the middle fork in January is so vivid.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

sometimes when you stop for a rest or a camp, not just hiking but even sometimes traveling by car...this is hard to describe but the "obvious rest spot" weather it is the only small grove of trees or outcropping of rock within miles, or a calm pool after miles of raging river....you can just feel the historical presence all those who came before you that also stopped to rest, camp, take a swim, have a bite to eat or whatever.

It is an experience I often have...maybe imagined. But sometimes its thick yet a not so obvious deja vu. Like holding a mirror to a mirror, the faint memories align themselves and you can feel you are doing the same thing what has been done a million times before you over thousands of years in that same spot, on that same rock, under that same tree, in that same pool.
atreehugger
Topix Acquainted

Post by atreehugger »

Found this on line for Fisk Mine:
Latitude & Longitude (WGS84): 36° 59' 23'' North , 118° 34' 60'' West
Latitude & Longitude (decimal): 36.9897222222, -118.583333333

A Au occurrence/mine located in sec. 10, T11S, R31E, MDM, 3.1 km (1.9 miles) NE of Windy Peak (coordinates of record), along the S side of Cartridge Creek, near its confluence with the Kings River, on National Park Service wilderness land (Kings Canyon National Park/Sequoia-Kings Canyon Wilderness). MRDS database stated accuracy for this location is 500 meters.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Interesting. It looks to be in some steep terrain (from those coords).

map.jpg

1.94 mi NE-ish. Hmmm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
atreehugger
Topix Acquainted

Post by atreehugger »

MRDS database stated accuracy for this location is 500 meters. Perhaps the coordinates are off. Found photo of Fiske Mine on line from Overland Monthly and Out West Magazine : see attached below.
It is from June 1896 edition; Vol 27; Issue 162; Author: Theodore Solomons. Titled: "Unexplored Regions of High Sierra: The Sources of the Kings River" It states that mine is at elevation 6500' .

Supposedly the old Fiske Cabin was at the confluence of Cartridge Creek and the Middle Fork of the Kings River. It was destroyed by fire about 1904. Perhaps some metal remains (tin cans , etc) or rocks from the foundation.

Found in the Sierra Club Bulletin Volume 4 page 256 from June 1903 by J.N. LeConte:

"A tramp of five miles up the south bank of the river brought us to Cartridge Creek, a large tributary entering from the east. Here we had considerable trouble crossing, for the stream is nearly as large as Bubbs Creek, and had washed in stones and rubbish under the old foot-log until it made a fine waterfall over it, a most unpleasant state of affairs indeed. On the other side we found the cabin built by Mr George Fiske, many years ago, when working on his mine just above this point on the mountain side".

Perhaps an interested party will one day explore this area to see if they can locate the mine or cabin remains.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.