Mammoth/Yosemite - current conditions 6/23/2017

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Post Reply
User avatar
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:09 am
Experience: N/A
Location: The OC

Mammoth/Yosemite - current conditions 6/23/2017

Post by Hobbes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:29 am

For anyone planning on hiking up/around the JMT/PCT between Mammoth, Yosemite and Sonora pass this weekend/week, this hiker made it through and is posting a ton of photos. (Note: each anchor photo has many portfolio photos included in each group.)

https://www.instagram.com/mozart_pct/

He also has a blog (need to translate from German) that is being updated, including descriptions of all the difficult fords between Tuolumne & Sonora pass:

https://pctthruhike2017.com/








User avatar
squeakywheel
Topix Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:17 pm
Experience: N/A

Re: Mammoth/Yosemite - current conditions 6/23/2017

Post by squeakywheel » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Great links! Thanks so much!

User avatar
jfr
Topix Novice
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:21 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: 32N 117W
Contact:

Re: Mammoth/Yosemite - current conditions 6/23/2017

Post by jfr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:59 pm

Here's some recent conditions from some PCT hikers. https://jennhikes.wordpress.com/
See Day 67 "Tuolumne River is Raging" and be scared. They turned around at Glen Aulin due to extra-high water with the recent melt, but also due to reports of impassable fords further north, at McCabe and Return Creeks
Trip Reports and PhotoJournal: http://hikingtales.com/

User avatar
rlown
Topix Docent
Posts: 6842
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Petaluma, CA

Re: Mammoth/Yosemite - current conditions 6/23/2017

Post by rlown » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:30 pm

jfr wrote:Here's some recent conditions from some PCT hikers. https://jennhikes.wordpress.com/
See Day 67 "Tuolumne River is Raging" and be scared. They turned around at Glen Aulin due to extra-high water with the recent melt, but also due to reports of impassable fords further north, at McCabe and Return Creeks
I don't feel bad for them.. Not the year to do it... They would know if they looked or listened. I would have called the ball at 100" of snow and the heat wave. What sucks the most is the 4 miles to get where you cannot cross when you get there. (Glen..)

Note: I have no compassion for stupid; even for me..

User avatar
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:09 am
Experience: N/A
Location: The OC

Re: Mammoth/Yosemite - current conditions 6/23/2017

Post by Hobbes » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:32 am

I've been exchanging a few emails with her along the way before they hit the Sierra. She & her boyfriend (yes, he's an Eagle scout) are from Redding/Burmey - they're both runners & are comfortable in snow. They were one of the first to hike from Cottonwood to Bishop pass (without re-supplying @ Kearsarge) the last week of May. If you're familiar with the early season alpine passes, you know that's pretty core. Not just Forester, but Glen, Mather & Bishop are all sketch. Plus, you obviously have to be in super shape to deal with the snow conditions.

They decided to go for the Bishop to Mammoth leg by hiking down to Florence lake and then back up Goodale to bypass Bear & N Mono creeks. Then they decided to try Mammoth to Sonora without a re-supply @ Tuolumne. At each stage I'd give them a few things to look out for, but I suggested they skip N Yosemite. I even sent the photo of the Glen Aulin bridge to her, so she knew it was out before they departed.

They were probably 50/50 on Sonora before they left Mammoth - they had a backup plan to hike to the Tioga pass gate along the 120 and try to hitch down to Lee Vining if they got turned around. Since she hasn't had any updates, I'm wondering if they went back in. With an experienced/determined group, rope and proper timing, it's still doable.

For those determined to try, all they need is a slight chance of pulling it off to commit. It's a different mindset than a those of us looking for a nice relaxing & enjoyable time off in the mountains.

PS Oddly enough, someone posted a photo of her crossing the Woods creek bridge on this thread http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 24#p120623. When I first saw it, I thought it was our very own Gazelle. :)

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests