PCTA Trying to close OHV trails.

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
evilgenius32
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: PCTA Trying to close OHV trails.

Post by evilgenius32 »

As a OHV rider I can agree with you on the fact that there are many irresponsible riders out there, likewise for any outdoor activity. Society as a whole only looks towards those who abuse the rules and destroy the landscape. But we cannot judge a whole culture by the actions of a few. The rim fire was a preventable accident by an irresponsible user, but the area is not likely to be closed to use in the long run. The Sierra club is likely not to side with this abuser just like the Stewards of the Sequoia don't side with those who abuse the area you like to hike in. To say all OHV riders are bad is wrong, it is just as easy to say that there are bad hikers everywhere when you look at the amount of illegal fire pits and litter in non-OHV use.

I think we got a little off topic from the original post on the actions of the PCTA. I think the PCTA is way overstepping their bounds here, but that's just me.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: PCTA Trying to close OHV trails.

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I had a conversation with some PCTA employees and they seemed to have an interesting take from their side of this. I was told they have a response report or such coming soon so I'd certainly like to see their side of it in greater detail before I pass any further judgement.