Yosemite creek crossings early season

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite creek crossings early season

Post by CAMERONM »

I am considering a few early season Yosemite loop trails but creek crossings are a particular concern for my partner.
I was all ready to go but I it snowed two days ago and I was told it is 2 feet deep above 9000. However that should burn off quickly on a trail.
I found this helpful image of known bridgeless crossings, which would have been even more helpful if it had been posted in higher resolution:
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... ssings.jpg
I am familiar with the Lyell Fork difficulties, it was unpleasant for sure, but did not notice the "inlet of Washburn Lake" when I passed that way before.
Any perspectives on this particular crossing, and alternate paths / workarounds you might know?
yosemite-unbridged-creek-crossings.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite creek crossings early season

Post by robow8 »

I've been to Washburn a couple of times, most recently last summer, and I don't remember a crossing of the inlet.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

Information on Morrison Creek and Register Creek would also be appreciated-
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Register Creek is normally not bad, but we hit it at peak flow in 6/7 2003, and went upstream and crawled across a log. I think taller persons than me would have been OK. I am pretty skittish about crossings. That year much of the trail was covered with up to two feet of water, and the flat below Glen Aulin was waist deep on me. The lower bridge was also flooded. 2003 was only a 65% snowpack year, but snowpack does not always correlate with peak flows. I crossed it again twice and no problem. People have died on Wapama Falls but rangers check that often and close it when dangerous.

One year I crossed the outlet from Tenaya Lake at high flow and it was pretty scary. But we made it.

Indian Canyon creek can be nasty at peak flow (North Rim Traverse).

Where Stubblefield and Thompson Canyons meet, the crossing at the PCT is really deep, but not that swift. Waist deep on me. But you could likely find better crossings upstream.

Piute Creek at Pleasant Valley is not crossable early season. It does not look all that bad at the trail crossing, but it is deep and powerful.

Peak flows do not last that long, so the best thing to do is avoid peak flow. Otherwise, do not hesitate to retreat if needed. After peak flows, there are few that are what I would call "dangerous" that do not have a bridge.
114_1411_proc.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rgliebe
Topix Acquainted

Post by rgliebe »

I just did the North Rim traverse last week and none of the creek crossings were bad. The worst one was Wildcat Creek, where I got water in my boots since it was over my ankle. Water flow is already looking like mid to late June for a normal year, so unless there is a really hot day or two, most creek crossings should be safe. Watch for water depth as well as current flow.

The biggest problem I ran into was all the trees downed in the windstorm a few months ago. The trail crews will be busy the rest of the year trying to cut them out of the path. Many are large trees that are tough for a backpacker to get around or over.