Shingle Springs TH open

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Shingle Springs TH open

Post by kpeter »

I just talked to the rangers at Groveland and they report that the Shingle Springs trailhead is now open, after years of being closed. I have not seen it with my own eyes, but apparently you can now drive all the way to the trailhead. I will offer more on the quality of the road after I return from my trip in a couple of weeks.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Shingle Springs TH open

Post by giantbrookie »

Thanks for posting this. I was thinking of dayhiking to Kibbie with the family but if and only if that TH was open as it was in ancient times when I last hiked out of there (late 90s).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Did not expect to be reading that since they've been driving up to the TH in their own vehicles since the second year as though it was going to be for their special use. For me it is huge as to what is possible for an early season trip with some out of shape relatives.

That makes it just 4.2 miles 950 feet vertical to mid Kibbie Lake (instead of 6.0 & 1950) Out into those clean smooth gruss sand flats I prefer to tent on and away from any others exploring and traveling along the shore. And sort of protected by travel of others or animals by joint crack ravines full of brushy vegetation. May still be flowery in the flats with belly flowers gilia, onions, and monkeyflowers. I usually see osprey. Groveland permit gud!
mahjzha
Topix Novice

Post by mahjzha »

Shingle Springs TH is open and the road is in good shape - backpacked in last weekend with no problems. There are trees down, but the trail is easy to follow. No mossies, no snow, the lake was beautiful, and saw a bald eagle soaring overhead!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Just back from my trip. I can confirm that the road is in reasonably good shape--better than I have seen it in the past. No problem for a passanger car, but I wouldn't drive fast. There are a few rough spots that require very slow speeds, as per normal.