Taboose pass trail head 2021

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
walkawhile
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Taboose pass trail head 2021

Post by walkawhile »

Hi,
Anybody been to the Taboose trail head this year? Is it 4WD only or can my civic get me close?

Any info is appreciated!

Adam
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Taboose pass trail head 2021

Post by Harlen »

Hey Adam,

I just searched up a PM answer I made to this same question, so I'll paste it in here:

Re. the Taboose Creek road, which I've driven twice already this sumer-- it is a nightmare! I just barely managed to get my beater of a corolla wagon to the TH on this 2nd trip there, but I easily could have broken something, or gotten stuck. As it was, I noticed later that I had lost 2 hub-caps, and one tire was very low on air from all of the abuse. There is a sign for Taboose Creek on HWY 395, and another sign for the TH within a 1/2 mile of that turnoff. Then it becomes pretty vague which way to go, you should stay to the right when you have choices along the way. The parallel road by the creek is worse, though on the trip before, in May, I used that road, and bashed my way to within a mile and a half of the real TH. Really brutal on the car, and not something most people would attempt in a low-slung vehicle.

It's a real shame Walk, as I reckon 3 hard workers with heavy picks and a digging bar could make a one lane road accessible to all in just one long days work. Frank and I improved it quite a bit by simply stopping to toss off the biggest loose rocks in our way, but the imbedded ones are still a problem. I was able to make the TH by 1. not giving a damn, as all of our cars cost less than $1,500, and I enjoy hitch-hiking; and 2. by well-practiced techniques, such as the "stradle," and the "blast through the sand," and most important-- the crazy looking but undercarriage saving "slow roll over the biggest rocks" that is, putting them directly under your tire, rather than your oil pan. It's kind of fun, and I love to see the look on the faces of macho 4WD jeep guys when I tool up alongside them with my wife and kids in a Toy. Corrola, or formerly, Honda Civic... they kind of wilt.
Let me know if you want more details on access.

100_0910.JPG
It's a beautiful place, but don't expect this quality of road-- only at the bottom, and here and there, but less and less as you get higher.

100_0919.JPG
Here is where I parked in the night, having already met horrible road conditions. In the morning I realized the TH was still at least 3-4 miles away! So I bashed up another 2.5 miles, but that was as far as I could reach using the road that runs closest to Taboose Creek; should have gone to the right farther down. Adding 1.5 miles to the 8 miles to the pass isn't so bad though.

100_0924.JPG
The TH is actually right on the creek again, and you can immerse yourself before and after the hike. So the correct, righthand road does head back SW toward T. Creek.

100_1156.JPG
This is looking back down toward the TH from the west, but it shows a good landmark--the red cinder cone in the middle distance, seen here above Bearzy. As you approach the TH, know that you want to end up above, ie., west of that cinder cone. Good luck Adam.
[p.s. how much is your car worth? Our $500.00 Honda Civic was the best car ever for this sort of horrific driving. Torquey low-end, and short wheel base!]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
walkawhile
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Taboose pass trail head 2021

Post by walkawhile »

Thanks Harlen! I'm not willing to sacrifice my civic to the trail gods just yet. Luckily the guys I'm packing with have a 4wd. We're trying to figure out hte point to point shuttle and your information is very helpful!

Cheers!

Adam