TR: Wind River 2 - Elkhart Loop, Aug. 17-26, 2020

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
arkheel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Wind River 2 - Elkhart Loop, Aug. 17-26, 2020

Post by arkheel »

Wandering Daisy has way, way more knowledge about travel in the Wind River Range than I'll ever have, but I will say that we have found that just getting out of the popular areas like Titcomb Basin and Cirque of the Towers means that you'll have more of a wilderness (i.e., fewer people) experience. Also, getting off trail and going cross country seems to bring more solitude. This past summer (2021), both of the east side loops that we hiked had fewer cars at the trail head parking lots than either Big Sandy and Elkhart trail heads on the west side, and fewer people on the trails.

WD, we love your phrase "nook and cranny hiking". That's the kind of hiking that we enjoy.

As far as our meals, I enjoy putting together backpacking meals that have a lot of variety. We've found that when we are out for 20 days, it helps to have variety so that we don't get tired of eating rehydrated food. It's nice to be a little excited about what's for dinner or breakfast. Of course, this probably just means that I need to start fishing so that we can have fresh fish with our meals!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Wind River 2 - Elkhart Loop, Aug. 17-26, 2020

Post by Harlen »

chef arkheel says:
We've found that when we are out for 20 days, it helps to have variety so that we don't get tired of eating rehydrated food. It's nice to be a little excited about what's for dinner or breakfast.
I see the light, variety eh? Maybe that's why I lose my appetite, and come out so thin?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.