TR: Loomis Peak - Lassen Volcanic NP, April 2, 2022

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
avizzini
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: Loomis Peak - Lassen Volcanic NP, April 2, 2022

Post by avizzini »

Lassen is a favorite place to visit in all seasons and I’ve exhausted many of the standard routes so, I’m always on the lookout for new destinations. I also really enjoy this park for snowshoeing in winter and spring. I made use of the remaining snow and went off trail to Loomis Peak.

I left the Loomis parking lot around 8:30, followed the campsite roads, clear of snow, to get to the Manzanita Creek TH. At that point the snow was fairly consistent although, there was some exposed ground in lower elevations.

I followed the Manzanita Creek Trail for about 1 mile before going off trail southwest to meet up with the ridge that goes southeast up to Loomis Peak. Snow conditions were pretty good throughout the day, even in early afternoon there wasn't much sinking. Snowshoes were still helpful on steeper sections and softer areas. The snow was also still deep enough to avoid much of the bushwhacking that'd likely be required in Summer/Fall.

I made it to the summit, easily enough, around 11:45. The summit itself ended up being one of the better summit views I've seen in Lassen. It's comparable to Brokeoff Mountain, except on the opposite side of the park, and no one seems to come here. The register, I was surprised to even find one, only had a dozen or so entries over the past 3 years.

There were great early spring views of Chaos Crags, Lassen Peak, Eagle Peak, Ski Heil Peak, Pilot Pinnacle, Mt Diller, and Brokeoff Mountain. It was an up close panoramic view of nearly all the peaks of significance in the area. I’d like to return next spring to camp nearby so that I can enjoy the sunset views (instead of the harsh mid-day sun).

I returned the same way I came.

I’d estimate the total round-trip distance to be a little under 10 miles with around 3000’ of cumulative elevation gain. So, a bit of a commitment for a snowshoeing trip.

Here's roughly the route I took (not exact)...
Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 12.10.35 PM.png
For those interested in off-trail snowshoeing that’s a bit more challenging, I’d highly recommend it. Route finding wasn’t that hard, no real obstacles, and only one slightly steep part as you ascend the ridge. You’ll almost assuredly have it all to yourself once you leave the Manzanita Creek trail. The views were among my favorite of the park. I’d probably avoid doing it in Summer/Fall, given some of the dense forested sections you’d have to wade through...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My black & white landscape photography from all my hikes...
https://photography.aaronvizzini.com
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Loomis Peak - Lassen Volcanic NP, April 2, 2022

Post by balzaccom »

Great report. I agree about Lassen--winderful place. I've done the trail up Manzanita Creek...now you've given me a new place to explore ..
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: TR: Loomis Peak - Lassen Volcanic NP, April 2, 2022

Post by c9h13no3 »

Loomis is a really good peak for those with no avalanche skills. If you ascend via the route you describe, there's almost zero slopes steep enough to slide.

I really enjoyed the views myself.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.