Summer Flights: SFO to Bishop

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Summer Flights: SFO to Bishop

Post by Jim F »

Beginning this June, United Airlines will begin daily service non-stop between San Francisco and Bishop (except on Saturdays). Info is on the United and Bishop Visitors Information Center websites.
austex
Topix Expert

Re: Summer Flights: SFO to Bishop

Post by austex »

My first flight to Bishop was in 1972 KVNY to Bishop in a Cessna Cardinal... I've never been the same. :)
Jim F
Topix Regular

Re: Summer Flights: SFO to Bishop

Post by Jim F »

austex,

My first flight across the Sierras was in 1959. I had just completed the High Sierra Trail. Bob White of Lone Pine flew me back from the Lone Pine Airport to a landing strip off the 198 just north of Three Rivers.

The aircraft only seated four and it was a bit tricky flying across the Sierras. Density altitude calculations were critical. After taking off from Lone Pine airport, the little plane worked hard, but faithfully, to clear the Sierra Crest.

Periodically, I go over to the Lone Pine Airport to investigate if anyone can fly me (safely) back over the Sierras. Bob White passed years ago, but at the airfield and by old timers in town, the Bob White Flying Service is remembered fondly.

Jim