Tale of Survival - Boundary Peak

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Tale of Survival - Boundary Peak

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Wish I could remember the name and author of this book better. But I read a survival study book, with a subtitle "Who Lives; Who Dies". It covers all kinds, lost in mountains, lost at sea, etc. A thread that ran through it all was that it is never just one wrong decision but a series that gets one in trouble. Another is that the survivors never thought they were going to die. They kept a positive attitude throughout and persevered. The lost at sea story struck me because I never thought much about how you get water out at sea, and how you shelter from beating sun rays. The ocean is practically a desert! The book also had a story of a lost kid. Kids do quite well because they seem to naturally know what to do- mostly they find or make a "nest" and just stay there. They have total faith that adults will find them.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

WD wrote:
...I read a survival study book, with a subtitle "Who Lives; Who Dies". It covers all kinds, lost in mountains, lost at sea, etc. ... the survivors never thought they were going to die. They kept a positive attitude throughout and persevered. ... The book also had a story of a lost kid. Kids do quite well because they seem to naturally know what to do- mostly they find or make a "nest" and just stay there. They have total faith that adults will find them. Wish I could remember the name and author of this book better.
Is this it?

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why
Gonzales, Laurence

Sounds like a good book for us. I'm somewhere between the faithful children and the positive minded adults... I just blithely assume that nothing bad will ever happen that I can't either deal with, or accept.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yes, that is the book! I checked it out of a library.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Another fascinating read on surviving severe advents is

The Third Man Factor: The Secret To Survival In Extreme Environments - John Geiger

This book describes a phenomenon sometimes occurring to people in dire survival situations, where they experience the presence of a metaphysical entity. Sometimes it had a visual component, sometimes an auditory element. Sometimes it takes on a human shape and voice, sometimes it is of a familiar person, and sometimes it is just a vague presence of something. Those who believe in God/gods assumed it is God or an angel visage, atheists may describe a spirit-like apparition appearing, or a vague sensation. In most cases the "third man" inspires the person to tap the primal will to persevere. In some cases the visage goads them to dig deeper; in other instances it consoles them, that everything is going to be alright. The most compelling section of the book for me was the chapter that shared the journal entries from members of the ill fated 1912 Scott expedition to Antarctica. They all kept journals, and independently wrote of the third man factor.

This apparition seems to me as a primitive survival instinct kicking in. It made me wonder if other creatures have a similar survival response mechanism.

I have been in a couple of dire situations, but did not experience the third person. My thoughts were not whether of not I would die, they were on trying to survive and hoping I could muster the effort necessary to get back home.

Geiger also authored The Third Man Factor: Surviving the Impossible. I have not read this work, but from what I can tell both books are about the same topic, perhaps with a different angle to the subject.

Wiki on the topic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Man_factor

Ed
Last edited by Gogd on Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like soloing with friends.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Gogd writes:
The most compelling section of the book for me was the chapter that shared the journal entries from members of the ill fated 1912 Scott expedition to Antarctica. They all kept journals, and independently wrote of the third man factor.
That third man must have been Capt. Lawrence Oates, whose brave last words were: "I am just going outside, and may be some time."

*Nothing to joke about; as the ailing Oates was clearly sacrificing his life, so not to hinder the chances of the others. Respect.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
druid
Topix Regular

Post by druid »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:03 am Yes, that is the book! I checked it out of a library.
I just downloaded it to my Kindle. I'm only a few chapters in, but so far it's been a very enjoyable read. Thanks to you and Harlen for the recommendation.