Looking for Hockett Trail Collaborators

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Igneous1
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Looking for Hockett Trail Collaborators

Post by Igneous1 »

Hi!

I have a particular interest in the historic Hockett Trail, which might also be called the Golden Trout Trail because it feautures the native streams of the California golden trout. It's not an alpine trail, but it does feature glacial and volcanic landscapes and unique trout habitat. Portions of it haven't been maintained for many years, so exploring the route can be hard and hazardous. If you're interested in joining me in exploring an underrated trail with a deep history and the most natural of routes, please reply.

Document: The Hocket Trail

Thanks!
Dan
freestone
Topix Expert

Re: Looking for Hockett Trail Collaborators

Post by freestone »

Nice historical perspective on the link, thank you for posting it. I traveled over a trail feature named "Devil's Stairway" on the Hockett trail in 2020. After that trip, I vowed not to go back unless I had a wrangler take me to the Little Kern first. That country is the Los Padres on steroids and the recent fires are sure to add lots of obstacles over the trail but it has the best tasting water in the Sierra IMHO.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Igneous1
Topix Newbie

Post by Igneous1 »

Haha. Thanks for that colorful reply, freestone. Fires have done their worst, it's true. ... but how can anything possibly be worse than the Los Padres? (haha)
Huecker
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Huecker »

I’m interested. I live on the South Fork, and have enjoyed looking through your research of the Hockett. I’m always happy to explore some more, although like others have said, that “foothills” part of the Sierra has not been improved by the recent fires.
-Daniel Huecker
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

This is fantastic! I've been interested in the various west-side Sequoia forgotten trails for a few years now, and this scratches quite the itch to have all this new info in one place.

EDIT: The photo of Al and David at Garfield Grove, near the Sequoia with a waterfall is amazing. That little waterfall still flows through and over that same sequoia log. Just above there are the King Arthur and Floyd Wright sequoias - well, if they survived the fire that is.