I've got a topic. Tent recommendations?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: I've got a topic. Tent recommendations?

Post by Gogd »

A slight digression from the topic, but relevant, nevertheless.

I find any tent claustrophobic - a result of spooning stinky dudes in tiny tents for way too many foul weather days on Denali. So a tent for me is exclusively a sleep shelter from rain or blowing snow; otherwise I am cowboy camping. I bring a 9'X12" Dyneema cook fly for sitting out rain storms. Weighs about half a pound, including 100' of guy line to set it up. I didn't toil up the mountain, just to end up hunkering in an "oversize duffle". It's really nice having a sheltered porch with generous head & elbow room, and a view when sitting out bad weather.

All of that said, My shelter is a modular system, and the rain fly is but one of the components. The Hyperlite Ultramid 2 pyramid tarp provides the sleep shelter cover. Good room for two; a seriously palatial abode for one, as far a tents go. Weighs under a pound in its minimalist configuration. But add all the guy lines and a handful of pegs it weighs in at just under 1½ pounds. The two other components of my shelter system are a Dyneema ground cloth and a personal sleep bug net that covers the top half of my bag, with mini poles forming a dome over the head area. As already mentioned, I usually leave the tarp in its sack and just sleep under the stars with the ground cloth and bug net. The bug net and ground cloth are less than half a pound. The entire system, cook fly, pyramid tarp, ground cloth and bug net weigh 2½ pounds. Bag and sleep mat are extra.

Ed
Last edited by Gogd on Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
I like soloing with friends.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

wildhiker wrote:
My wife and I have been happy with a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 tent
I like it too, though for me, it is hard to get it stretched out tight.

100_1759.JPG
(This is an older version Fly Creek.)

bobby49, how do you keep bugs out of your bottomless, ultralight tent?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

I will add Tarptent Double Rainbow to the mix, its pretty versatile and the updated headroom is a big improvement. At 42 oz its pretty light. With the liner you can push into 4 season use. Blackout and I had really good experience with it and you can make it freestanding with your trekking poles. Its a hybrid, not double walled. For the JMT i think it would be good option. But I do like some of the big agnes options mentioned as well. Nice to have a double wall tent and star gaze some nights.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

A “late to the party” post but this info might help. You said you currently have a half dome 2-a very spacious tent. All of your options you mentioned are light but tight for two (didn’t mention if tent was for just for you or you and another). If for two, look at the 3 person versions you mentioned. Lots of space and lighter than the half dome. My wife and I (plus 2 doxies) have the Nemo Dragonfly 3 and it’s been great so far. Haven’t had it in any serious storms though.

Just thought I would throw another option out there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Silky Smooth wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:11 pm I will add Tarptent Double Rainbow to the mix, its pretty versatile and the updated headroom is a big improvement. At 42 oz its pretty light.
+1

I've been in huge wind with it and it is totally up to that. If the soil is loose, put rocks on the stakes.
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Iriscaddis »

Final: Big Agnes Tiger Wall for 3. 2lbs. 15oz. I think it was ~8 ounces difference from the two person and you got considerably more room for two people so there you have it. Planning a trial at the Kern or Mineral King area. Still planning. Thank you all for good ideas and equipment I was unaware of.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I got a Nemo Hornet 1 man a couple of years ago and like it very much--side entry and 26 ounces. Also comes in a 2 man version at 31 ounces. Before that I used Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 man that was roomier, end-entry, and 54 ounces (1-man only 53 ounces so why bother?) Big Agnes has great service. The zippers on my first Big Agnes went out after 8 years and they replaced the whole tent for shipping.

I continue to use both tents depending on who goes with me. The Nemo is definitely very small and very light. The Big Agnes is a more pleasant tent to be in for extended periods and is much taller on the inside, but you pay for it with more weight.

I looked at the Copper Spur it came in at 43 ounces. As with all these things, the trade offs are comfort and durability and convenience vs. weight.