Another fun topic - What stove?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Another fun topic - What stove?

Post by Lenier »

I use the BRS stove but can't make myself sell my Pocket Rocket. I suppose I expect the BRS to eventually **** up and want a backup at a moment's notice, say if I test the BRS and find that it has failed. I think for people wanting to "cook" some things like noodles, or rice, that something beefy and reliable like the pocket rocket is ideal. For just boiling water, the BRS is ideal.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Another fun topic - What stove?

Post by Gogd »

CentralCalHiker wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:56 pm I use the BRS stove but can't make myself sell my Pocket Rocket. I suppose I expect the BRS to eventually **** up and want a backup at a moment's notice, say if I test the BRS and find that it has failed. I think for people wanting to "cook" some things like noodles, or rice, that something beefy and reliable like the pocket rocket is ideal. For just boiling water, the BRS is ideal.
The BRS 3000's weak point is the pot stand fails due to heat, softening up and deforming.

"Cooking" rice and noodles is still in the realm of water boiling, the way most campers prepare those items. Any stove will do that. Real cooking require a range of temperature control and a large burner head to distribute heat over a larger surface area of the pot/pan to avoid scorching. If the cooked item requires tending, like a skillet fry, a stable pot stand is also desirable. Some folks can make a hollandaise sauce on a tiny burner stove with a tiny pot stand, but geeze, what a hassle.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.