Need a ride sacramento to lone pine or lodgepole 6/14ish

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
tnhgmia
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Need a ride sacramento to lone pine or lodgepole 6/14ish

Post by tnhgmia »

I’m planning a month long off trail adventure and am looking to get a ride if possible since public transit would be 12 hours or so. I’m planning to leave sometime 14-17 and am pretty flexible. My plan b is lodgepole but am really trying to start at horseshoe meadows. Thanks!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: Need a ride sacramento to lone pine or lodgepole 6/14ish

Post by bobby49 »

I assume that you are going to do the High Sierra Trail. I did that several years ago, and I worked it out with public transportation. I parked my car at Crescent Meadow, and then spent four days getting to Crabtree Camp. The fifth day was up and down Mount Whitney and back to camp. On the sixth day, I walked all the way out to Horseshoe Meadow and hitched a ride to Lone Pine. I stayed overnight at the hostel. On the seventh day, I caught the bus to Mojave Junction, then the bus to Bakersfield, and then the bus to Visalia. The last Sequoia shuttle had already left, so I spent that night at a motel. On the eighth day, I caught the shuttle going to Lodgepole, and then the free shuttle going to Crescent Meadow. I was in my car and driving home before noon. If I had it to do again, I would plan it the same way.
tnhgmia
Topix Acquainted

Post by tnhgmia »

I’m actually doing horseshoe meadows to Sonora pass mostly off trail over a month. I’m car-less and I looked at public transit and the best option is train to Bakersfield then two buses but the schedules don’t overlap so it’s more than a day. Same deal east side. Seems the bus to Reno only arrives at night so the est would be another day.
tnhgmia
Topix Acquainted

Post by tnhgmia »

Ended up catching a ride to Reno and I’ll take the bus from there. Still need to hitch to horseshoe meadows on the 15th if anyone is heading that way