Marble Mountains question

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Marble Mountains question

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have two tentative routes planned. Would the last week in May be too early? this year. Or in June better?

Lovers Camp Loop- 1) Lower Sky High L, 2) Rainy Valley 3) Shadow L 4) Calf Lake 5) Deep Lk

Shackleford Creek CG loop- 1) Campbell L 2) Marble Valley 3) day hikes 4) Red Rock Creek/Elk Lk tr jct 5) Deep Lake 6) Lower Wright Lk

I have never been to Marble Mountains. Is one route better than the other? evidently Lover's camp road may not be open early. If you have been in this area, are the routes OK or do you have better ideas.

What is the current way to get a permit? Can one still get a walk-in at the ranger's office?
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Marble Mountains question

Post by Silky Smooth »

Hey Wandering Daisy,

Given the year we are having I think May would be totally fine...I dunno, hard to say, both have their positives. Last time we got walk in permits, but that was pre pandemic days instead everything on rec.gov. You brought back memories of some of my first hikes in California up in the Marbles with our other Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Manchego. He loved swimming in the lakes after hiking in. He would play till he was practically shivering in the cold spring water.

Could be super buggy, we've had some buggy times up there but also some really pleasant temps/weather. Just depends whats happening. Have a great time! it's a really beautiful area. I love the forest of northern California. Stop by Coachwhip and say hi one of these days, if your ever driving by :)
Last edited by Silky Smooth on Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Are the trails well maintained, on each loop I described? The trails I have done in Trinity Alps have been pretty good; usually the case when there is horse use.
BakoGal
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BakoGal »

WD, I live in the shadow of the Marbles so have wandered most of those areas, except Rainy Valley and the route between Deep and Calf Lakes (although I’ve stared at the area between Deep and Calf on a map many times). I have found Sky High Lakes basin to be overwhelmingly crowded many times, so have passed through and camped at Big Elk Lake, always having the place to myself. Earlier in the season is less crowded, so hopefully this will not be an issue for you. I’ve hiked from Big Elk Lake, past Whiskey Camp to the junction with Rainy Lake….there were about a dozen trees down, but all were easy to get around. Beyond that junction (towards Spirit Lake) the downed trees are pretty bad; I got frustrated and turned around. I have no first hand experience with the western approach to Rainy Lake, but hear it’s doable but a bushwhack.

Shadow Lake - I planned on camping there once, but found it to be burned, exposed and HOT. I also never found an attractive campsite, but maybe didn’t look around enough.

Lovers Camp trailhead access: if the gate is still closed, you can get around it taking 44N41 (Canyon Creek Road) to 44N45. Locals and their chainsaws work faster than the forest service.

Red Rock Creek to Little Elk Lake to Deep Lake - wonderfully light usage with easy to find trail.

Shackleford to Calf Lake - well defined trail and I’m always the only one there.

The forest service ONLY maintains up Shackleford, across the PCT to Sky High Basin, then down to Lover’s Camp. There will be downed trees wherever you decide to go, but as you mentioned, the problem trees are usually taken care of by the horsey crowd (except towards Spirit Lake…maybe they got overwhelmed by the number of downed trees, too).

No wilderness permit is required, just a campfire permit for your stove.

Honestly, the mosquitoes here are minimal compared to the Sierra and the ghastly hordes in So. Oregon.

I would suggest your first itinerary only because it appears to include the ABCD Lakes, which I hear are beautiful; they are on my list for this year.

Happy Trails!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks so much! So glad to hear no wilderness permit is required. I also going to the Wind River Mountains this mid-July to Labor Day where permits are not needed (other than fishing licenses). I imagine the Marbles got a bit of snow from this last storm, and maybe some more this week. Thanks for the suggested alternate route to Lovers Camp. I have been to the Trinity Alps and really liked those trips. I am not too concerned about a bit of crowdedness, since this time I just want to get an idea of the range. Actually a few others may be helpful.
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted

Post by mangomegan »

Have you made it to this area yet this year, Wandering Daisy? Our family is considering a trip, going in at Lover's Camp on 6/20. I'm wondering about snow levels and trail conditions for a loop up the Canyon Creek trail to the Sky High Lakes and back out via the Red Rock Valley trail.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

No, I am not doing the trip this summer; perhaps in the Fall if wildfires do not make it impossible. But I appreciate the advice given.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Hi WD,

Sorry I did not get to this earlier, but since you are still considering a trip, this TR might be helpful. It is my one and only trip to the Marbles so take it for what it is worth.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20602&hilit=marble
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

kpeter- I read your post when you posted it earlier. There was good information in it.

The main obstacle for me is the long drive- 300+ miles and 6 hour drive. Given gas prices and so many more Sierra trailheads a lot closer, I opted for the two Yosemite trips rather than Marble Mountains. I still have family up in Washington, so I probably would combine a Marble Mountain backpack with a visit to Washington this October if smoke is not bad.

I have done three trips in Trinity Alps- but that was before fires. I really liked those trips- two in early season, one in October. The fall trip had spectacular autumn leaf colors. The early season trips (4th of July) were in higher snow years- did a few snow climbs.