Whitney Portal to Bay Area

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
treks
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Whitney Portal to Bay Area

Post by treks »

Apologies if this is redundant but I couldn't seem to find a response here.

Someone is going to be dropping us off at Lodgepole to start the HST. Been searching around trying to find a way to get back to the bay or at least closer like Bakersfield.

If we thumb it in early, we might be able to take the ESTA bus to Lancaster.

https://www.estransit.com/connections-for-thru-hikers/

Little bit nerve wracking getting in there by 10am. Next is trying to get as close as I can to the bay. Would appreciate any suggestions. Trying to do it in a day. I have someone that can come get me but I'd like not to have them drive 8 hours one way.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Whitney Portal to Bay Area

Post by bobby49 »

Several years ago I was going to do the HST, so I parked my car at Crescent Meadow, slept, and started walking before dawn. On the fourth day, I arrived at Crabtree Camp. On the fifth day, I went up Whitney and back to camp. On the sixth day, I walked out to Horseshoe Meadow and hitched a ride to Lone Pine, where I slept in the hostel. On the seventh day, I caught the ESTA bus to Mojave Junction, waited, and then caught the Kern Transit bus to Bakersfield. I caught some alternative bus to Visalia, but all of the shuttle buses were done for the day. I stayed in a motel that night. For the eighth day, I caught the Sequoia Shuttle to Lodgepole and the free shuttle back out to Crescent Meadow where my car was.
treks
Topix Acquainted

Post by treks »

Great find, thank you. This will get me out to Bakersfield and save my friend 6 hours. I think I could swing the early bus by getting out early.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

If you're going to Bakersfield and need to get to the Bay Area, you can pick up the Amtrak San Joaquin train in Bakersfield. It leaves northbound a few times a day. Its end point is Jack London Square station in Oakland. Prior to that, the train has a stop in Berkeley, where you can catch BART.
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted

Post by JayOtheMountains »

By Bus.... ESTA Lone Pine up to Mammoth. Take YARTS to Merced or Fresno. Then transfer to SFO.

* or ESTA from Lone Pine to Bishop where you can catch a United flight direct to SFO.

* or... ESTA Lone Pine to Reno. Transfer to SFO (Amtrak, flight, Bus).

Independent driving would be roughly the same time for the destination at about 7 hours through Yosemite or south through Bakersfield. However, bus logistics.... It's 13 hours of travel time (plus wait time at transfer points) from Lone Pine to SFO south via Mojave Junction (Lancaster way) then multiple bus and train transfers to make it happen. Going north is entirely dependent on scheduling, but a much more pleasant tour in my opinion.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I have nothing helpful to say, other than you are choosing to spend 13+ hours on a bus/train, when you could be hiking (if you did an out & back or a loop).
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
treks
Topix Acquainted

Post by treks »

I'm south of San Jose so Madera looks like a good stop. Mammoth looks like a good option too. The flights out were interesting but pretty pricey. Even more than gas I believe.

As far as extending the hike, I'd like to stick to the traditional HST route for three most part with an XC into Kaweah Basin so there really isn't a loop or in and out. Especially since I am finishing at Whitney.