Sierra NF Fire Restrictions In Effect From 7/11-11/15

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sierra NF Fire Restrictions In Effect From 7/11-11/15

Post by maverick »

Sierra NF:

The Sierra National Forest is now under Fire Restriction. Forest Order No. 05-15-00-22-13 is down below. If you have any questions or concerns you may call the 1 of the 3 offices to get further information.

High Sierra Ranger District: (559)855-5355 Mon - Sun 8am-4:30pm
Bass Lake Ranger District: (559)877-2218 Mon- Fri 8am-4:30pm
SNF District Office: (559)297-0706 Mon- Fri 10am-3pm

Or you may visit https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/sierra/alerts-notices to see more alerts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
erutan
Topix Expert

Re: Sierra NF Fire Restrictions In Effect From 7/11-11/15

Post by erutan »

That's not very useful with only the first page - exhibit A is pretty important.

Here's a link to the actual document:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 042689.pdf

If I'm reading it correctly, the ban doesn't effect the following wilderness areas:

Ansel Adams Wilderness
John Muir Wilderness
Kaiser Wilderness
Dinkey Lakes Wilderness
Monarch Wilderness

Note that many of these wilderness areas overlap Sierra & Inyo administrative units, e.g. the eastern parts of Ansel Adams & John Muir Wilderness still have the existing June 6th Inyo full campfire ban in effect.

This is in practice similar to SEKI's Stage 2 ban which went into effect in May banning fires below 6,000ft, as much of the non-wilderness is very low altitude and hence drier and more prone to catching on fire (as has been demonstrated recently in Yosemite).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If I'm reading it correctly, the ban doesn't effect the following wilderness areas:

Ansel Adams Wilderness
John Muir Wilderness
Kaiser Wilderness
Dinkey Lakes Wilderness
Monarch Wilderness
Didn’t add entire pdf since it says “The Sierra National Forest is now under Fire Restriction”, which means the entire SNF. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Am I right in thinking that the fire restrictions prohibit the use of an Esbit stove?
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

The entire SNF, except...
1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire, except within the Designated Wilderness Areas listed in Exhibit A and the Designated Recreation Sites listed in Exhibit B. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(a).
Exhibit A – Designated Wilderness Areas
BASS LAKE RANGER DISTRICT
Ansel Adams Wilderness
HIGH SIERRA RANGER DISTRICT
John Muir Wilderness
Kaiser Wilderness
Dinkey Lakes Wilderness
Monarch Wilderness
Ansel Adams Wilderness
@Bishop_Bob that's correct. You can still use them (and alcohol stoves etc) in SEKI, but they're banned in Inyo NF as well. If you have a shutoff valve for an Esbit stove it'd work (maybe put it in an old Trangia alcohol stove?).
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Thanks for the confirmation. I shall abide.