Tarp + Bivy for SEKI

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Tarp + Bivy for SEKI

Post by Lenier »

I'm currently using a Tarptent Protrail Li. It weighs around 445g(15.6oz) for the tent + guy lines. I've considered switching to a tarp + bivy for years so I can have more flexibility with weight, as well as better packability.

What are yall using for tarp + bivy that would beat the Protrail Li for weight during buggy/stormy times/areas of the Sierra?

Is a mid/shaped tarp necessary for the higher altitudes most of the time?
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tarp + Bivy for SEKI

Post by Silky Smooth »

You have a pretty light set up, you can do a double wall style tent for more options to pitch just the netting. After having a hybrid like the double rainbow, i enjoyed being able to just pitch the netting. Tarptent had a model like that which i just cant remember. The stratospire is a good example of that style too. Big agnes has some really light one's as well. Check them out. Just depends how much you want to spend for an incremental savings in weight. I also highly encourage some DIY. Tarps are simple in design and shape. There are some awesome fabrics out there, outside of dyneema that are uber light. These new fabrics have amazing uv qualities and they wont stretch or sag when wet. Also look at your other systems, is there any room for improvement in other areas where you can get more efficiency for your dollar? Just some thoughts to consider.

-SS
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

Not a lot of room left for making things more efficient in my setup for sure. I'm already at a 7.5 pound baseweight (without a bear can) for an optimal weather trip. If I were to go tarp, it would need to beat the Protrail if using the Tarp + bivy - otherwise, I have zero incentive to switch - certainly not do a dual wall tent system!

I've seen flat or minimal sharped tarps (plus a bivy from Borah) that beat my setup for weight, but I'm concerned a shaped tarp won't be enough coverage for every trip - particularly places high up late in the season during those afternoon storms.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I use a pyramid-shaped cuben fiber shelter that is erected on one trekking pole. The weight of the shelter, plus DIY cuben fiber floor, plus mosquito net door, plus titanium stakes and simple cords, adds up to about 15.5 ounces. The good part is that it is very compact for carrying. Cuben fiber is incredibly waterproof.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

Definitely. I've had two DCF tents (still have them) and have never had water issues.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

This is the setup that I'm considering:

https://zpacks.com/products/hexamid-pocket-tarp-w-doors

plus

https://borahgear.com/bugbivy.html

How well would this fare in the nastier of storms? I'm concerned that despite the shaped nature, it's just ever going to be comparable to a tarptent.

Would come to approx 11.4 ounces, including guy lines, beating my protrail by 4 ounces during buggy times of year.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A tarp set up on a trekking pole is as good as you can anchor it down. I am now using the Tarptent Notch. I like the tent, but I find it difficult to solidly anchor it with stakes at times. This is more of a problem early season in damp sand and moist forest floor duff. You may have to invest in various size of tent stakes. I too have thought of a bivy and tarp, but the weight savings nowadays with light tents, is not enough for me to use that method.

SEKI has many different "high altitude" environments, so it depends on exactly where you plan to camp. With my Tarptent Notch, I am more conservative on campsite choices than I would be with a free-standing tent. In truly high altitude windy/stormy conditions an actual mountaineering tent is a safer option. A good quality mountaineering bivy handles wind well but you end up living in a coffin if storms last days.

Mosquitoes usually are absent at night. If you can put up with dawn and dusk mosquitoes, the bivy-tarp system may be fine. I like to get into the tent fairly early in evenings after fighting mosquitoes all day so prefer a mosquito-proof tent during mosquito season. You can also mitigate mosquito problems with campsite choices. Worst choice is down in timber or near water.

Regardless of where you go in SEKI, a tarp/bivy system will require more thought when choosing campsites.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

I used to use pyramid tarps w/ground cloth back in the day, for on-snow camping. My 3-season camping saw me carrying a 2-wall, free standing tent w/floor, a personal sleeping bag bug net, and a ground cloth. If the weather permits, I usually sleep cowboy style in the open, under the stars, regardless the season. I decided in recent years to lighten my kit and went with Hyperlite's dyneema, 2p, Ultramid pyramid tarp. Its spacious for 2p; HUGE as a solo shelter. It had kept me dry in severe weather. Weighs ~1#. I did not get the optional bug net; instead I use the aforementioned sleeping bag bug net, and of course the ground cloth. This is by far the lightest shelter system I've owned. Glad I got it years ago; the current price is really expensive! But if you do a lot of hiking, especially XC, the investment is warranted.

I used to have concerns about using a stake-out shelter, but actually this has proven to be a non-issue. I just attached longer cords to the stake-out loops and anchor them to large rocks. I use several rocks on each guy-out if needed for strong winds. The only issue is my shelter requires a large ground area, thus makes finding a suitable location more challenging in rustic terrain. But anyone who has enough experience can address this limitation with a creative approach to setting up their shelter.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.