Horseshoe Meadows Road, Whitney Road, Onion Valley Road Closed Update 8/1

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Horseshoe Meadows Road, Whitney Road, Onion Valley Road Closed Update 8/1

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
Inyo County Roads: Horseshoe Meadows Road, Whitney Portal, Onion Valley Road, and Cerro Gordo are all CLOSED due to large amounts of debris and flooding.
No estimated opening times or dates currently. With more rain in the forecast, it is anticipated these roads will stay closed until the next storm moves through at the very least. Road crews can’t begin to clear debris if it is unsafe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Horseshoe Meadows Road, Whitney Road, Onion Valley Road Closed Update 8/1

Post by zacjust32 »

Just came down HS Meadows road and they're working hard to fix it.
20220801_155955(0).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Onion Valley Road Reopened

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:

Foothill Road (off Onion Valley Rd). A good example of the extreme flood damage, and a great visual of why we have road closures currently in place.
Road closures currently in place: Horseshoe Meadows Road, Whitney Portal, and Cerro Gordo are all CLOSED.
Onion Valley Road has reopened.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

8/10 Update

Post by maverick »

Inyo Co Sheriff's Dept:
DON’T IGNORE ROAD CLOSURE SIGNS. Road closure signs are there for a reason. Ignoring them places you in danger as well as those who have to respond to your location.

Road closures currently in place: Horseshoe Meadows Road, Whitney Portal, and Cerro Gordo are all CLOSED.
Onion Valley Road has reopened.

There is no estimate of when roads will reopen.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Roads Reopened

Post by maverick »

Inyo Co Sheriff's Dept:
A huge THANK YOU for the tireless efforts of our road crews! The following roads are now OPEN: Whitney Portal, Horseshoe, and Onion Valley.
The public is reminded to watch for equipment and to expect delays. Additionally, with more flooding forecasted, these roads may close again. All updates will be posted.