Ziplock for cooking - not recommended

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Ziplock for cooking - not recommended

Post by Iriscaddis »

Greetings, I thought I would share a response from SC Johnson on using Ziplocks for cooking on trail. Not recommended. I see a lot of posts and YouTubes and I really wanted to know what's the deal on this. So there it is, at least for me. My alternate option is the little more expensive option using the boil in bags that's supposed to be certified safe for boiling and cooking. So --> boil water, add water to the pre-planned dehydrated meal, enjoy, roll up and in the trash bag it goes (they're reusable so I take them back and clean up for next time).
Thanks to @TahoeJeff from Aug. 2020 for sharing this company, https://www.packitgourmet.com/cook-in-bag-trade

RESPONSE FROM SCJ
<<Hi ---,Thank you for reaching out! I'm sorry to share we wouldn't recommend using any Ziploc® bags for boiling. They have not been tested for this and this is why we wouldn't recommend it.
Have a great day!
Bobbie Jo
Consumer Relationship Center
SC Johnson, A Family Company
USA 1-800-558-5252 | scjohnson.com
Canada 1-800-558-5566 | scjohnson.ca
Reference Number: 020......>>
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Ziplock for cooking - not recommended

Post by austex »

1+ on Packit Gourmet. GREAT customer service; they are local here in Austin, but don't have a storefront so they ship it even to me.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

I was of the same opinion that zip locks are not good for boiling. But I recently read a post somewhere else - can't recall where - that the plastic used for zip locks did not contain the usual suspect chemicals of concern, thus at least are safe from that regard. The reply from SJC appears to be a CYA response, as it states they did not testing, thus unwilling to officially make an affirmative response.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

I've seen other responses from them that said it was fine to put boiling water inside them, but not to immerse them into boiling water. Makes sense, as immersing them would subject them to high heat for a longer time. I've found that the water doesn't need to come to a full boil to rehydrate food properly.
I've used the Packit Gourmet bags as well, and got a batch that the "zipper" came unstuck from the bag.
I now rehydrate in my pot. Saves a lot on trash, especially since I'm cooking for me and my wife.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Zip lock bags work good for steam baking of bread while in camp.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Iriscaddis,

I used to boil water and add it to my meals to re-hydrate them for years until I went to no-cooked meals and used a Ziplock freezer bag (off-brand ziplock bags did not work all the time) and never had any issues with leakage. They should not be immersed in boiling water to re-heat food; they will melt.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org