Feather-light pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Feather-light pass

Post by cgundersen »

Name: Feather-light pass (unofficial)

Overview: This pass connects La Salle Lake to the mini-canyon holding Den Lake. It parallels Feather pass but is appreciably easier (and lower).

Class: 2

Elevation: !2,200 (and change)

USGSTopo map: Mt. Hilgard

HST Map: HST Map

Among the many access conduits into Bear Lake basin from the East, this is the easiest I've encountered. You can reach it from about midway around La Salle Lake and then work your way up the hillside to the ridge. No surprises. No loose rock. Clear signs that other folk have availed themselves of this shortcut (think cairns). But, for some reason it has not entered the common vernacular, ergo this post. If the East side is a straightforward class 2 climb, the West side is a snooze. Well, that's because we had snow to glissade on almost down to Den. In later season, you might actually have to walk in sand/gravel. All in all, a very nice way to meet (or depart) the Bears. Now for the photos:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cgundersen on Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Feather-light pass

Post by Harlen »

Hey Cameron, looking at your photos, I realized that this is the very pass my Argentine buddy, Bearzy and I took in early July of the heavy snow year of 2019. Same pass eh?

100_2132.jpg
This is a similar view as in your first photo above, titled:
View of Feather-light from below La Salle. Feather Pass is the next saddle to the Right.
We picked a nice path between the rocks, cramponing along in the early morning made the sun-cups easy. It is a very nice route in the snow too.

100_2130.jpg
Looking back toward Merriam Lake where we began.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Ian,
Exactly. By all accounts, this is the easier ridge, and from the extensive number of cairns, it's been used quite frequently even when it's not completely snow-covered as it was for you guys. Cheers, Cameron
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Since Ian's photos show this route with abundant snow and my shots still had considerable snow coverage, I'll now add a few images with virtually no white stuff:

This first shot is what the climb/descent looks like from roughly 50 feet above the inlet end of Den Lake (west side):
Feather-Lite Pass copy.jpg
This shot shows the initial descent or final climb on the Den side. The gravel to the left is attractive and easy, but it leads up higher. In practice, it's pretty easy to veer to the right about 2/3rds of the way up the gravel and aim for the low point on the ridge (which leads into the easiest way down to, or up from, La Salle Lake).
Feather-Lite Pass copyB.jpg
Here's a closeup of the top of Feather-light from the Den side.
Closeup Feather-Lite Pass.JPG
This is the view up at Feather-light from La Salle Lake. There's plenty of greenery and gravel to aim for, but it's hard to run into trouble on this climb/descent.
LaSalle side Feather-Lite Pass copy.jpg
Cameron