Agnew Meadows parking for River Trail/JMT?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
b_k
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Agnew Meadows parking for River Trail/JMT?

Post by b_k »

To be clearer about parking- there's a backpacker lot near the entrance of Agnew Meadows campground, & no need to leave proof of a wilderness permit.
aaron_in_sf
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by aaron_in_sf »

This thread exactly answers my own pressing question. <3
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Iriscaddis »

Came back from River trail and attempted Alger lakes that story is for another thread). Agnew Meadows lot worked out just fine, just like the old days. What was curious though for September was a lot of damn cars in the lot. Cars were parked up along the side by the pack station and looked like they were ticketed or got some sort of hate mail on their windshield.
Also, saw several vans of Chinese tourist pouring out into the lot and hiking out in their Prada and Gucci (snarky comment by me). So hey, COVID really screwed up the Sierra. Forgive my snarky comments for the weekend 😉

Wait- I’m modifying this post realizing that some people may be offended by what can be considered xenophobic. You never know these days because everybody’s so offended by anything. What I’m saying is because of Covid we’re getting a whole new group people into nature and that’s not a bad thing, but my gut says and my eyes see crowds. Actually one more snarky comment I won’t blame Covid, I’ll blame social media ha ha.