Low clearance vehicle ok on Sky Ranch Road (Quartz Mtn Trailhead)

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
narc1370
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Low clearance vehicle ok on Sky Ranch Road (Quartz Mtn Trailhead)

Post by narc1370 »

I was pondering one of my trips this season to this area of Yosemite w/o venturing into the park proper. I was thinking the Ottoway Lakes, Merced Peak, etc, coming from Quartz Mountain. My long drive, backpacking commuter car is my Prius. I can't tell you the amount of money I've saved over the past few years going back and forth from the central coast to the east side. That being said, I've gotten conflicting reports about the conditions of Sky Ranch Road, with reports varying from year to year. I'm looking at Chiquito Pass/Quartz Mountain Trailhead. Can anyone provide details of the conditions of the road up there? Is the low clearance vehicle ok?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Low clearance vehicle ok on Sky Ranch Road (Quartz Mtn Trailhead)

Post by rlown »

I followed TehipiteTom in his car (low clearance) and there were times that I thought I would run over him if he fell in a hole. I think it was Quartz Mountain. He made it. I think it was a Honda Fit. Just go slow and pick your path carefully. This was years ago though.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Keep in mind the travel time difference between Quartz Mountain & Chiquito Pass. While Quartz is 2 miles and 600 feet less hiking, they probably come out pretty close all things together.

From Oakhurst to Quartz Mountain: 1:42
From Oakhurst to Chiquito Trailhead: 1:07
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

+1 on C9’s comment.

My friends and I did a trip out of Chiquito TH last July; I drove in my 2010 Camry and had no problem with Beasore Rd or the FS connector road (dirt/gravel). Of course, conditions could be different this year.
Just be aware that Beasore Rd is closed a bit past the Chiquito turnoff, due to a washed-away bridge where Beasore crosses Norris Creek. If you are planning a car shuttle between Chiquito and another trailhead further east (Norris, Fernandez or whatever), this would complicate your plans a bit.
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by druid »

+1 on Russ's comment. I've been up there several times in a variety of vehicles. There are stretches of smooth road that tempt you to drive faster, followed without much warning by stretches of craters. These are particularly treacherous when they are in the shadows. It has always been a simple matter to drive around them as long as you don't drive into them first.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted

Post by narc1370 »

Thank you for all the responses! Much appreciated!