My story on the search for Matthew Greene

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: My story on the search for Matthew Greene

Post by maverick »

Russ,

I know you have seen your share of cold case shows, and you have witnessed the agony/pain of parents not knowing what happened to their son/daughter.

Many describe it as a black hole in their soul, a void, that eats a way at them slowly. They yearn for any morsel of evidence to know what may have happened to their loved one.
Not knowing the where, how, and if there was any foul play was involved, all come into play with Matthew’s case.

If we can find any evidence of Matthew being in a particular part of the Minarets by finding some of his equipment, yes, it would would not bring him back, but it would answer the where and discount the foul play theory, which would bring some comfort for his family, and bring some light into that void of blackness.

This is what motivates me to continue trying, Russ.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: My story on the search for Matthew Greene

Post by rlown »

Point taken. The other aspect is to be more precise on where you will be, hitchhiking or not, etc. A partner would be a nice help. I admit I don't really like solo. If your trip plan isn't communicated to those that love you, you might leave that black hole. An InReach would be nice. SOS button is right there. If you lost your keys in a dark place, and you search in a place with a light overhead.. Well, Result is the same.