High Low Thermometers

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Low Thermometers

Post by erutan »

Well @Gogd I've been too lazy to do scientific experiments about the effects of tents and terrain impacts, while you haven't, so still props to you for both the inquisitive spirit and time and energy spent. :)

I like cowboy camping, but sleep worse and so does my partner. I generally try to do it once or twice a trip if we're in a spot with a good view. Having the spaceship no-see-um mesh of the tigerwall 2 is a decent compromise in terms of sleeping better but also having a nice view (though obviously blurred).

I've been toying with lighter shelters, but she's pretty adamant about having bug netting. I've been woken up by spiders crawling on my neck, and once had an ant in my ear for 10-15 minutes which put me off cowboy camping for a while heh. Something like the X-Mid Pro 2 is appealing (though expensive), but seems like it'd be a PITA to setup on a lot of the random terrain we end up on near the end of the day. I respect the whole "just bring a tarp and put your bug netting over your face" if there's mosquito pressure crowd, but that just seems obnoxious. Temperature extremes in a trip also make the whole "just be zipped up in your bag" not work for me - one trip last summer I slept with my bag completely unzipped night 1, then was mummied up 2-4 with one night leaving 2-3 inch shards of ice in a water container left under tent vestibules. Site selection obviously helps in all regards, but sometimes about treeline there aren't a ton of options.