Mammoth to Reno on a Weekend?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mammoth to Reno on a Weekend?

Post by BSquared »

I've got a trip lined up this summer that ends in Mammoth on a Saturday afternoon, and I'll need to fly back home (Vermont) after the trip. Since Eastern Sierra Transit doesn't run its Reno/Mammoth bus on weekends, I would have to wait until Monday to take the bus to Reno, and it gets in late enough that it's not really practical to catch a plane the same day. That would mean I couldn't fly home until Tuesday at the earliest, but if I could find a way to get to Reno on Saturday night I could get home on Sunday. I'm guessing that a private shuttle would be really expensive, but I don't actually know. Suggestions?
—B²
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Mammoth to Reno on a Weekend?

Post by The Other Tom »

Used to be, back in the day, the Mammoth airport had regional service by a commercial airline during the summer months. I don't know if they still do that or not. If not, maybe there's a charter flight to Reno?
Maybe you could rent a car and drive back?
Or, just spend the weekend in Mammoth and enjoy the surroundings. After all, that's what retirement is for. 😁
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

ToT, you nailed me with the last one! :D I would have no trouble at all finding fun Sierra things to do on a Sunday in Mammoth, and I also have some friends in Lee Vining. However, I'm going with a couple of other people from out here in Vermont, and they're anxious to get back home. The regional flights to/from Mammoth appear to go only to LA-area airports (Burbank, etc.), but of course we could route our homeward flight from LAX or whatever instead of Reno. Still, it would add enough to the overall airfare that we probably wouldn't be interested. Thanks for reminding me of that service, though. Apparently United flies to Bishop, but I think that brings up the same issue with Eastern Sierra Transit.
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I don't know what they charge so you'll have to call them: https://www.mawshuttle.com/private-car- ... t-shuttle/
Looks like an Uber would cost around 300.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

Uber or Lyft maybe. It will be expensive. I always rent a car anyways and point of entry/exit is the same so its not a problem.

Texan
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by stevet »

A one-way rental from Mammoth Airport to Reno Airport is also spendy ~$250. I've found for hikes 10 days or less renting a car that sits is cheaper than 2 one way rentals. Longer than that 2 rentals are cheaper. The Mammoth Airport enterprise office is open Saturday's from 9am to 1pm.

Looks like MAWs will probably cost around $700.