Do all gaiters catch snow?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Do all gaiters catch snow?

Post by michaelzim »

Maybe a dumb question here given the mechanics of snow and a downward thrust with a foot in a post-hole, but figured I would ask.
I have never used gaiters before though have wondered how good they were for stopping snow getting into boots from the bottom edges around ones boots when plunging into snow through a thin crust.

After reading a stellar review on SectionHiker.com I bought some Montbell gaiters in preparation for this uber white 2023. With increasing cabin fever as an excuse I decided to do a long forest road drive to a big mountain north of me that is a snow-capped wonder. I stare at it daily from my kitchen table and finally realized I could maybe try out my new winter gear up there. If I could get high enough in my car...which I could not. However, the only gear I could evaluate were the gaiters. With mixed feelings.

The snow had a thin crust with about a 12+ inch drop into semi powder with each step. The gaiters did a great job of keeping snow from getting in from the tops, but with some of the "downstrokes" the snow snuk in at the bottom edge of the gaiter fabric where it wrapped around my boots to hook into the front laces. It is tensioned by an elasticized band sewn into the gore-tex fabric and looks like a decent seal against the boot...but, a "peeling outward" action is inevitable when you have that edge of snow on the top lip of the hole. Like peeling an orange, and a bit of the peel sneaks up under the edge. Sorry, I hope that description serves.

Gaiters + Arrow.png

Seems to me that all gaiters would have this potential issue as they all fit "over" ones boots and unless glued down to the boot side itself there is potential for "peel back" slightly - unless really, really super tight tension there. The REI gaiters looked like they had even more likelihood of this problem as the "flap" did not look that tight.

Any comments, tricks, suggestions from you long term gaiter users appreciated.

Thanks ~ Michaelzim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Do all gaiters catch snow?

Post by paul »

My experience with this has been that it depends a lot on snow conditions. In the winter, you may have powdery snow, and that will get up in there pretty well. In the late spring and summer, the snow is consolidated, and does not infiltrate nearly as much.
Also, I never bought any gaiters, I always made mine, and always with elastic at the bottom, which i think helps with that issue. And finally, i have never used gaiters in the summer with boots. I do use stretchy, "Dirty Girl" style gaiters in the summer with shoes, but never felt the need with boots. Generally you dont sink very deep in summer snow, so with boots I never had an issue. Most of my gaiter experience is skiing and snowshoeing, with some postholing thrown in.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am a big fan of gaiters even when there is no snow. I aways wear gaiters. They keep dirt and out of your shoes and tall gaiters are great bushwhacking to keep from ripping your hiking pants. I have seen people wear high gaiters and shorts too.

I have done a lot of early-season hiking over and post hole in snow. You simply are going to have wet feet, but the gaiters will protect your legs from getting bashed up and keep pant legs drier. I just take one or two extra pair of socks, always saving one for in the sleeping bag only. In camp I dry out the insoles and socks much as possible. Putting on wet shoes next morning is uncomfortable, but I have never had really cold feet because they stay warm while walking. I change into camp shoes with dry socks in camp. It is debatable if waterproof shoes are good or not. They dry slower. But then I have usually had wet shoes regardless. A good fit over your shoe helps a bit. Stop and wring out your socks often- that helps prevent blisters.

Gaiters do work better with high top leather boots. But even then they eventually get wet if you are out in snow day after day.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Thanks for the replies and what seems like the likely answer = Yes! That gaiters will catch snow under the lip-edge of the bottoms irrespective of probable brand...with snow conditions altering the degree of that issue.
Fits my 'mental imaginings' of the question as there is just a plain old design/functionality weak point there unless someone comes up with a whole new boot covering concept.

So good. Well, sort of good, as I had visions of dry socks...but good that I don't need to return the gaiters as "faulty" as this issue aside I really like the setup on the Montbell's + the easily replaced bottom strap.

Yep, Daisy, I am going to load up on socks for sure plus lug some camp shoes in during snow season (whole of 2023?!) though it will be a decide-when-I-get-there question whether to cross creeks in my boots (already wet probably) or change to camp/creek shoes and have everything wet...Will depend on if dunking main boots in a creek is actually going to make them wetter that they already are! Dry shoes for camp sounds great. (No I do not have Crocs just super light running shoes).
The gaiters are gore-tex but not sure that will do anything much in the long run if splashing across endless creeks + snow. I have a suspicion everything down low is going to get very wet as you indicate. Hopefully sunny days to dry it all out.

Thanks much ~ Michaelzim
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Gaitors with a rubber rand around the entire cuff allow almost no snow to work its way in between the boot and gaiter. But they are heavy, expensive, and tend to be too warm. I have only seen these used on high altitude trips, although someone must be purchasing the models one sees in REI.

You will minimize snow getting between your boot and a typical (no rand) gaiter if the stirrup strap is cinched tight as possible. If the elastic cuff is not fully stretched out after cinching up the strap, then the strap is not fully cinched or the gaiter is too large for the boot.
Gaiter.jpg

I prefer gaiters that do not have an elastic cuff for this reason and using a cord for the stirrup that also doesn't stretch. Another key is using a gaiter that closely fits the boot. I use low top (just above ankle) boots. A little snow always manages to infiltrate between gaiter and any kind of boot, but I never had the snow significantly packing it, becoming an issue and reaching the boot cuff.

As for keeping boots and socks dry, that is relative. A water tight solution keeps water out, but traps in sweat. I'd rather have a gaiter that breathes (no WPM or coating), at least my calves won't get all sweaty. Boots will get wet, short of using gaiters with rubber rands. You can minimize sock problems, however. The real problem is cold water wetting the socks, not moisture per se. Your socks will get wet from sweat or water, there is no avoiding wet socks. But you can greatly reduce cold, wet socks by using use some sort of vapor barrier, be it a VB outer sock or plastic bag.

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I like soloing with friends.
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by erutan »

These haven't been catching snow for me (used them on some early June trips last year, and a dayhike or two since) and seem to be a nice mix of durable, high, and lightweight. Beefier than some of the mid-calf ones, but a lot lighter than the tall GTX ones (if not as long term water resistant). At the point where I'd be wetting out I'd either be in snowshoes or bailing most likely. :p

OR Helium Gaiters

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens ... ers-279864

https://www.rei.com/product/185346/outd ... iters-mens