Conditions Along Hwy 4

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Conditions Along Hwy 4

Post by maverick »

Stanislaus NF:
Are you wondering what it looks like along Highway 4? As of Monday, May 15, 2023, this is what it looks like at Big Meadow Campground(7500 ft), Lake Alpine (7388 ft), and Chickaree Day Use (7300 ft). It is still all under snow. Highway 4 is closed at Lake Alpine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Conditions Along Hwy 4

Post by texan »

Thanks Mav for the update.

Texan
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Interesting to compare, photos below taken April 21, 2017 (another big snow year). We drove up there while camping at Glory Hole campground on New Melones Reservoir- a great place with lots of mountain bike trails and fishing too!

6267_Bear Valley Ski_small.jpg
6262_2 miles from Lake Alpine_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I think there is a lot more snow this year. The reason why is Bear Valley Ski resort broke their record for annual snow with 672 inches, in 16-17 they had a lot of snow too with 506 inches for the year. Lake Alpine is good to fish too. I might go there in August this year. Thanks for sharing the photos WD.

Texan