San Joaquin River Bridge - Over the Top Detour

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
treks
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: San Joaquin River Bridge - Over the Top Detour

Post by treks »

Don't rely on the contour shading! These are just averages over distance and miss easy step downs
It roughly cuts straight through the extreme gradient (purple area). This is the deceptive part. For example, imagine 5 switchbacks. Each is 50ft long, 5 across and 30ft in height (~30 deg incline). The contour shading will average this out to a steep gradient: 150ft height across 25ft depth. That is 6ft up for every 1ft forward!
shampeon
Topix Acquainted

Post by shampeon »

Yup yup, just trying to orient to your description. Gracias.
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by scottmiller »

I found out pretty quickly that lines spaced far apart don't mean much if the lines are really squiggly. Upper Relief to Ridge Lake is where I learned that. I mean, there's probably a route in there somewhere, but also a lot of travel ending in huge drops.
shampeon
Topix Acquainted

Post by shampeon »

Upper Relief to Granite Dome is one of my favorite cross country routes, but yeah, beware the squigglies.