TR: South-North Lake w/OT Glacier Divide Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
avocadospice
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: South-North Lake w/OT Glacier Divide Loop

Post by avocadospice »

Thanks for the report. I hiked the JMT from North Lake to South Lake in my early forties, and South Lake to North Lake in my mid sixties. Funny how I remember the trail being much easier 20 years ago! But what a beauty!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: South-North Lake w/OT Glacier Divide Loop

Post by cgundersen »

tnewton,
Nice trip and great write up! I have not gone back to check details, but several years ago, mokelumnekid started that route, but became irritated by some jerks who left a bit of a mess at Ramona (like a pink thong in a fire pit?). And then something else precluded him completing the loop, so great to read that you persevered, especially with some of the wild weather and pack issues. Like you, I recall encountering no cairns from Ramona till below Snowtongue pass, but that could well have changed. And I'm always impressed with fanatics who can fly to CA and then grab their pack and go. Wow!
Cameron