Cora Lakes Trailhead?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Cora Lakes Trailhead?

Post by dbargaehr1 »

In my planning for the Isberg Pass area, I've noticed that Cora Lakes Trailhead is labelled on Google Maps, but I can't find it on any of my topo maps. Anyone ever launch off from there?

My research on HST and the interwebz has come up largely dry for Cora Lakes TH. https://goo.gl/maps/6JADkJUPDc4VKDfu6

Aside from the current access issues with Beasore Road (closed from 5S05 to Minarets) and Minarets Road (closed at 7S48 up to Beasore), my question is - Strawberry Mine is right there, and I'm not sure if it's possible to access. It would shave a few "ugly" miles off of my route which originally was planned from Isberg TH…the Creek Fire burn scar is pretty bad up to the Niche from reports here and elsewhere. We'll have a high-clearance 4WD to get to the TH, the question at this point is whether or not 4S43 crosses Strawberry Mines and if it's gated.

Thanks! Google Maps screenshot here:
Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 11.38.50 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Cora Lakes Trailhead?

Post by balzaccom »

I don't think it exists. I've hiked out of the Granite Creek trailhead to Cora Lakes---that's maybe four miles. And I sure don't remember any road in that direction. I think it's mapping error.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maxr22
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by maxr22 »

Looks like there is a 4wd road according to the motor vehicle use map on caltopo that ends just under a mile from the coordinates google lists. Call Sierra National Forest before heading out and asking about the various numbered roads for obstacles like downed trees and if the roads to get there would be open.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah, I presume you could use it as a bit of a head start to the Isberg Trailhead, but there's no Cora Lakes trailhead on the Recreation.gov list of wilderness permits. Similar to the Racheria shortcut.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dbargaehr1 »

Cora Lakes TH is inaccessible as of July 24 2023. About 0.1 miles from the intersection with 5S30 is a completely impassable washout. Will need serious repair!