TR: Lamont & Sawtooth, 1/31-2/1, 2023

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Lamont & Sawtooth, 1/31-2/1, 2023

Post by Flamingo »

Hi All, I had a grand ol’ time climbing Lamont and Sawtooth this past Tuesday and Wednesday. Some of you saw my previous post (link) where I was concerned about winter conditions along Canebrake Road. It turned out to be just fine. The road was passible in my Subaru Forester, at least as far as Chimney Creek Campground.

Snow: The snow conditions in this part of the Southern Sierra seem to be highly variable. Southern slopes are snow-free up to 8K’, but northern slopes hold deep powder drifts in the shade.

Gear: I brought snowshoes, 10-point crampons, and ice axe — not really knowing what I’d encounter — but I used none of that gear. I reached both peaks with just trail runners and trekking poles. The snow drifts were so fluffy and powdery that my snowshoes weren't really effective. I tried to avoid the snow by scrambling on dry rocks, but inevitably I post-holed my way through several deep drifts. It slowed me down and was somewhat annoying, but it wasn't too terrible. I wore thermal underwear and knee-high wool socks, which made the post-holing bearable.

Day 1 — LAMONT: This was a straightforward afternoon day-hike, 3.5 hours roundtrip. The weather was sunny and clear, but the wind was vicioius with 30 mph gusts. I followed a use trail nearly the entire way. I lost the trail under snow several times, but I just trusted my intuition and I always found the trail again. I encountered dozens of toppled pinyon pines, which slowed my progress, but ultimately it was no big deal.

Back at the trailhead, I thought about camping along Canebrake, but the temperature was dropping fast. I indulged in a little bit of luxury, and stayed in a motel near Lake Isabella.

Day 2 — SAWTOOTH: A nearly perfect day with clear skies and almost zero wind. 6 hours roundtrip. I followed the PCT from Canebrake Road to the saddle southwest of Sawtooth. Along the way, I crossed a couple trivial snow patches, but it was no big deal. At the saddle, I found a use trail directly up the ridge toward Sawtooth. It was steeper than I expected, but I settled into “low gear” and found a sustainable rhythm. The route was fairly obvious, winding amongst rock outcroppings and through pinyon groves. I encountered deeper snow patches at 6800’, on the plateau with burned trees. As I climbed higher, snow patches became more frequent — fluffy powder up to 30” — but it was too on-and-off for me to commit to strapping on snowshoes full time. Directly beneath the summit, the powder drifts were deeper, up to my waist. If the summit hadn’t been nearby, I probably would have turned back from the snow at this point.
Anyway, I climbed the wrong summit pinnacle at first, but I easily backtracked and scrambled up the proper peak. I found the summit register after digging through various snow piles. I then sprawled on a sunny rock and enjoyed reading a piece of Sierra history. I think it’s very cool that the register dates back to 1966. It looks like most of the early entries were big groups organized by Sierra Club SPS. I’d love to learn more about those trips, and I’m curious about how people were thinking about peaks back then.

Overall: Two more SPS peaks checked off my list, and a couple great days of winter hiking.

Photos below. . .

52666044304_50b3d61a20_k.jpg
52666188030_96ea64786f_k.jpg
52666044599_406afe5f42_k.jpg
52666251063_37b6bbc8a4_k.jpg
52665252367_b08f33e5d9_k.jpg
52666044099_e044bb1818_k.jpg
52665751841_d00a3e115a_k.jpg
52665252092_1099470159_k.jpg
52666186760_37c96c9e00_k.jpg
52665265022_93598afb93_k.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flamingo on Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Lamont & Sawtooth, 1/31-2/1, 2023

Post by Jim F »

Flamingo,

Thanks for the TR.

On Page 1 of the Sawtooth Summit Register I immediately recognized the signature on April 10, 1966 of my friend George Tauxe. At that time, George was a member of the UCLA Engineering Department, as was my father. Many of the Department faculty were Sierra Club members and organized outings together in the High Sierras in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. I was a participant in some of these outings, as were George's two sons. For example, in 1957 we did the Rae Lakes Loop together. Sixty five years later I cherish my set of Kodachrome slides from that adventure.

BTW, your identification of distant peaks is solid in your fourth photo (from Sawtooth looking north.)

Jim
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Dang, it always amazes me how fast the snow drops off going south! And yeah, hotels during the winter feel way more worth the money. :-)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

those old trail registers are becoming harder to find. I have only seen a couple with Jim Jenkins name, I think Timosea Peak might have been one. One of the recent entries for Sawtooth would have been for my and dog Bo; I think we did Sawtooth two years ago. I don't do as much peak bagging as I used to; I think Spanish Needle is the one I most regret never bothering to go up, though I have been at the saddle close to the final route up to the summit;