Taboose to Dusy and back (Aug 2022)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Taboose to Dusy and back (Aug 2022)

Post by wsp_scott »

Catching up on trip reports, this is from July/August 2022

I'll post a couple highlights, but there are a ton more photos/details on my blog. No ads or anything, just easier vs posting lots of photos here.
https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/20 ... -2022.html

Since someone usually asks, these photos are all with my Sony a7ii and the 24-105 lens. There are also cell phone photos on the blog.

Background: I had spent all winter thinking about the Sierra and decided that I wanted to try one of the other hard east-side passes after doing Shepherd Pass in 2021 (https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/20 ... -2021.html). I also wanted to try some easy cross-country passes after making the climb to Pickett Lake. Taboose Pass sound like it would put me in the middle of a lot of possibilities. And it looked like I might be able to meet some people at Maverick's Ladder Lake meetup.

So, here is what I planned for 11 nights
Taboose -> Upper Basin -> Mather Pass -> Cirque Pass -> Potluck Pass -> Knapsack Pass -> Dusy Basin -> JMT -> Ladder Lake -> JMT -> Amphitheater Lake -> Cataract Creek Pass -> Dumbell Lakes -> Dumbell Pass -> Lakes Basin -> Cartridge Pass -> Bench Lake -> Taboose Pass

Things did not go according to plans because it turns out the weather gets a vote :)
A preview of the trip

I flew into Reno, got a car, and drove south to tacos in Big Pine, and some beer and then drove to Taboose Road. God, what a terrible road. I gave up about a mile short of the trailhead when I found a small pulloff near the old corrals, figured I'd rather walk the last mile in the morning.

Weather did not look great, planning on cowboy camping by the car, hope I don't get wet.

Day 1 (Taboose Pass)
Woke to a beautiful sunset

And started hiking early, clouds were building over the pass

I got to the top of the pass in about 9 hours and quickly set up camp since rain was on the way

Day 2 (Upper Basin)
JMT through Upper Basin

Nice storm (rain, hail, graupel) came through not long after I set up camp below Mather Pass, thankfully did not last long and I was able to wander a bit.

Day 3 (Mather Pass, Cirque Pass)

Palisade Lakes

Climbing towards Cirque Pass with Lower Palisade Lake below

A little bit of route finding and I made it over Cirque Pass (I really appreciate the info on the cross-country passes here on HST, thanks everybody)

Set up camp at the outlet of the lake that drains into Glacier Creek.

Amazing views to the west, clouds building

And to the east, clouds building

Day 4 (Potluck and Knapsack Passes)
Clouds already

I'd really like to spend a couple nights in the Barrett Lakes Basin

Looks like Dusy Basin is going to get hit

Day 5 (Dusy Basin layover)
After a ton of rain the previous afternoon, I woke up to lots of low clouds

Because of all the rain, when I went wandering I only took my cell phone

Day 6 (moving to lower Dusy basin)

Looks like better weather

I set up camp at the end of the lower basin and dodged more rain, when it wasn't raining, it was beautiful

More rain, talked to some other people who were sort of nearby, everyone was happy with this view

Finally, a nice sunset

Day 7 (down to the JMT)

Great views from the Dusy Basin trail looking west

Skipped Ladder Lake, didn't seem to make sense to make that climb just to hang out in my tent, set up camp on the edge of Grouse Meadow

Day 8 (South on the JMT)

I got to the decision point for Amphitheater Lake and decided to skip given the weather, so up the Golden Staircase to the Palisade Lakes and a swim

No swim, I barely got my tent set up before the sky opened up. After a couple hours, the rain stopped and I crawled out to find four guys had set up right next to me. They said they were in a hurry to get of the trail once the lightning was right on top of them. I didn't mind a little company for dinner and then the rain came back with a vengeance.

Ominous sky right before the storm

Day 9 (Mather Pass)
Rained all night, still raining in the morning. I said goodbye to the guys and headed south

Every little trickle was raging, the trail was a small creek below Mather (cell pic)

Upper Basin under the clouds (cell pic)

The South Fork of the Kings was raging at the JMT crossing. I was very glad I had crossed to the east side high in the basin. I decided that aiming for Bench Lake just looked wet so I went over Taboose with the hope of less rain lower down. I set up camp in a small site I had noticed on the way up.

Day 10 (trailhead)

Looking down on the Owens Valley

Back towards Taboose

Got to the car and the battery is dead, I had a cell signal so I was going to die, but a crappy way to finish the trip

Got a hotel in Bishop for the last two nights and did a short dayhike near Lake Sabrina and then back to Reno (with a stop at Mono Lake) and then home.

Not exactly the trip I had planned but still a pretty good experience. It turns out the storm that hit me in the Palisade Lakes also creamed Death Valley https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/nature/d ... e-2022.htm
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Taboose to Dusy and back (Aug 2022)

Post by wildhiker »

Nice selection of photos for your report. Turns out I was caught in the same monsoonal flow up in Yosemite Park that first week of August 2022. So wet from rain every afternoon! And on Aug 5, it rained all day starting at 2:30 am. Glad to hear your trip worked out OK.
-Phil
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Scott,

Great itinerary for the hike and too bad the weather intervened so decisively. But the rainbow over knapsack pass was sweet and the rest of the terrain you hit was spectacular. And I sense a bit of karma at the Taboose trailhead in that the first time I ever went up Taboose, I had rented a vehicle to avoid the kind of complication you encountered. Of course, when I got out 8 or 9 days later, the battery was dead. No cell phones back then, so I put on jogging shoes and headed to the tiny hamlet of Aberdeen and fortunately there was a pay phone. Not a great way to end a trip waiting for Triple A. Cameron
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for sharing your report, especially the wonderful photos.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I really enjoyed reading the entire blog version with its marvelous photos. A fascinating route through what I think are portions of the most spectacular section of the Sierra. You dealt with last year’s monsoon as well as anyone possibly could. Thank you for posting!
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

Glad you all liked the photos. It really is a great area with lots of off-trail possibilities. I'm disappointed that I missed Lakes and Dumbell Basins, but now I have an excuse to go over Taboose again. Next time, I might just park at the campground and avoid driving the horrible road :)
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I wish they would work that road over. It is very easy to damage your vehicle unless you have 4wd with ground clearance. I too got caught in the monsoonal flow last year. I did the Cloud Canyon-Deadman Canyon loop, and because of the weather, it really put a "damper" on the trip. (pun intended) I have not even felt like posting a trip report. I suppose that makes me a fair weather hiker! Great photos! Thanks for posting.
jbinsb
Topix Novice

Post by jbinsb »

I got hit with that same monsoonal rain on the JMT south. I ditched out at Onion Valley. Intense. Heading up Taboose to Bench, then JMT, Dusy and South Lake in a few weeks.