Ram Pass vs Bunny Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Ram Pass vs Bunny Pass

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just got a permit for July 12-17 for trip McGee TH to Convict TH. I have done all of my route before at similar dates/snowpack years, except getting from Franklin Lakes to Cloverleaf Lake. I thought someone here recently wrote up trip report for either Bunny Pass or Ram Pass. Bunny is class 2-3 on our x-c pass map. Ram Pass has a description in our x-c pass thread and is class 2. Has anyone done both and could compare the two? From my own photos both passes should be snow free from the Franklin-Ram Lake side. Not sure if there would be snow on the Cloverleaf side mid-July this year. The talus looks a bit nasty from the photo in the pass description.

It is a bit committing to get all the way to Franklin Lake, and then not be able to get over to Cloverleaf Lake with only a few days left of food. I would have my car parked at Convict TH, so backtracking to McGee Lake and over Corridor Pass would be a chore and take more days than food I would have left. My permit route is the best option IF I can be sure to get over one of those passes. Otherwise, I have plenty of alternatives that do not include this crux.

I found the 2015 description of Bunny Pass. It was a good description and thought the class 3 was barely there- called it class 2+. So still back to the question of how it compares with the one Alpine Mike described for Ram-Cloverleaf pass.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ram Pass vs Bunny Pass

Post by tomba »

I crossed Cloverleaf Ram Pass mid September 2015, NE to SW. It was not difficult at all, if I remember correctly.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
steve d
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by steve d »

Hi Wandering Daisy. Did you take Ram or Bunny Pass summer in 2022? How did you find it? Thinking about same route this summer. Thx
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I did Bunny Pass. The information and photos on the High Sierra Pass page was very helpful. I did it 2021, not 2022. I wrote a trip report. I will dig it up and link it here. By the way it is called Bunny Lake Pass.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21770&p=167111&hilit=McGee#p167111
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Daisy,
My sole time through that area was in the late 1990s (likely 1998, which I think was a huge snow year). On the memorable first day, (probably early July) we saw a couple guys ski down Bloody couloir; quite a sight! As we approached Bunny Pass (from the Cloverleaf side), we were concerned by a prominent cornice. But as we got higher up, it was clear that there was a gap that would lead to the Franklin side. This was one of those occasions where the snow provided great footing and probably made passage on both sides easier (heck, we glissaded most of the way down). So, it will probably be a luck of the draw for you with respect to conditions, but given your experience, I do not see this ridge presenting an obstacle. Cameron
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

It is not me who currently is asking about Bunny Lake Pass - I did it in 2001, as I stated above, and gave a link to that trip report. "steve d" is the one who is considering it this coming summer. I do not know his level of experience. He needs to read the detailed write-up in the off-trail pass sub-forum. I thought it was very accurate. The short "3rd class" was not that bad. But I have not done Ram Pass so cannot say if Ram Pass is easier. I recall reading a trip report where someone went east to west over Ram Pass.

I agree that this may be one of those passes that is easier with snow (if you have snow experience). The talus was pretty miserable going up from Franklin Lake.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Oops, missed that detail; if I recall looking at the two options there (Ram/Bunny), I'm pretty certain we went with the route that looked less challenging (our usual MO), but it's going to come down to conditions during that period. That likely will be the theme all summer! Cameron
jrad
Topix Acquainted

Post by jrad »

steve d wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:31 pm Hi Wandering Daisy. Did you take Ram or Bunny Pass summer in 2022? How did you find it? Thinking about same route this summer. Thx
Steve,

I submitted the route details on Bunny Lake Pass and have done it several times. I was just in Ram Lakes area and saw that Bunny Lake Pass is bare of snow right now (August 6, 2023). I plan to take my niece and 2 sons (16 and 9 yrs) over it W-E and down to Bunny Lake about 10 days from now. By the way, current reports are that Convict Creek is very dangerous, uncross-able with some sort of serious new washout damage as well. I had planned to take my relatives from Horseshoe Lake over Bunny to Convict Creek. Now I will take them out via Laurel Lake Road.

In 2004, I took one version of Ram Pass from W-E. It was very easy on W side but I did not like E side - some slight Class 3 briefly to start (steep and one boulder seemingly waiting to topple onto you) but tons of difficult Class 2 ( long large-boulder talus for maybe 1/3 mile). There is a bump in the lowest part of the slope and I took the easier S side of the bump (mistake, I think). I should have taken the N side of the "bump" mentioned in the pass description - easier drop down to Cloverleaf because the chute is less precarious coming off the ridge. Pass description is very good. Wish I'd known. I sat at the top of the (wrongish) version of the pass for a good while thinking "I don't want to do this". Worked fine but not happy.
Last edited by jrad on Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
leemur
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by leemur »

Looking forward to trying Bunny Pass. Thank you for the great writeup jrad.
jrad
Topix Acquainted

Post by jrad »

leemur wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:24 pm Looking forward to trying Bunny Pass. Thank you for the great writeup jrad.
I took 45 yr-old niece w/ kids aged 9 and 17 (all very inexperienced) over Bunny Lake Pass 5 days ago (8/17) and I found most if not all my cairns were in tact. Looking up at landmarks I note in description is easy but be very sure to get started at right point. Once amidst the small trees and such you cannot see the landmarks at all.

I will be upgrading the route in maybe October (needs work).

Down to Bunny Lake the snow is too steep and bumpy for happy sliding unless you have ice axe to arrest and an iron ass. Luckily the use trail is clear almost all the way down to gentler snow slope, which can be walked once the sun warms it. Cold snow slopes turn to near ice (dangerous!!) pretty much any time up there. Don't even think about going down until snow is well warmed (mid to late morning w/ sun).