TR: Four SPS Peaks near Miter Basin – July 26, 2023

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Four SPS Peaks near Miter Basin – July 26, 2023

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report and photos. Because Guyot, Pickering, and Chamberlain are not climbed as often as the peaks on the crest, your views from those summits are especially neat; in fact I haven't seen such views before. I am a former peak-bagger who transitioned to backcountry fishing in the 1980s, but I've never completely lost the peak bagging bug, so I enjoy reading reports, especially of summits I haven't been to. In general Miter Basin area, I've climbed some of the more popular summits on the Sierra crest (from S to N: Cirque Pk, Langley, LeConte, Mallory, Irvine) but none of the peaks west of the crest. I've thought of doing a combo trip that includes some of the usual fishing as well as Chamberlain, Pickering et al. but I haven't gotten around to actually doing it. My daughter, who caught the peak bagging bug in 2021, has been pushing me to add a peak or two to our long trips. Thanks again for the report.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

I love the register notes, good job!
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Also not a peak-bagger, also really enjoyed this report and photos. Thanks for sharing!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Thanks for a delightful account; I was tickled to see the tarn at the head of Guyot creek, because back when the HST meetup was at Wales Lake (2014?), my wife and I were planning to camp there or at the next creek to the East (Perrin). Both were stone dry. Fortunately, it had rained several days earlier and we scrounged water from small lacunae in rocks along dry Perrin creek. Yikes. But last week, a pal and I followed many of your footsteps into Miter basin and my first visit to Erin Lake. As your photo shows the hillside below Erin is mildly scabrous and definitely serves as a deterrent to looky-loos. Flowers were still great and bugs never exceeded the 1 level. Darn sweet! Cameron
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Great trip Flamingo! I love the images from Mt Pickering all around. Nice Primrose flowers up high, and other flowers down low. Seems like you had a a cool, and challenging adventure. Kudos to you, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

I love that area. Thanks for the report.