Eastern Sierra road closures due to Hilary storm damage

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
shampeon
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Eastern Sierra road closures due to Hilary storm damage

Post by shampeon »

The latest info should be posted on the Inyo County Public Works page. Always check the official sources before heading out.

Inyo National Forest closure list here.

Inyo National Forest campground and trailhead status (updated regularly)

As of 8/24/23, a lot of road closures are affecting the roads to east side trailheads. Here's some of the important TH roads that are closed:

Buttermilk Rd.
North Oak Creek Rd. (Baxter Pass TH)
Foothill Rd. (Shepherd Pass TH)
Onion Valley Rd. (Kearsarge TH)

Note: Whitney Portal Rd. is damaged but there's a detour in place. As of 8/23/23 the campground is closed due to flood damage, ETA of 8/28.

Horseshoe Meadows Rd. is now open, but the campgrounds are closed. ETA of 8/28 (Cottonwood Pass/Cottonwood Lakes/New & Old Army Pass/Trail Pass)

Tuttle Creek Rd. is now open as of 8/24.
Last edited by shampeon on Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MADgenius
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Eastern Sierra road closures due to Hilary storm damage

Post by MADgenius »

Thanks for heads-up, shampeon.

Will add that Foothill Rd, which provides access to Shepherd Pass TH, is on the closure list. Inyo NF alert also lists CG and road closures from Hilary here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/inyo/ale ... ?aid=82655.
shampeon
Topix Acquainted

Post by shampeon »

I typed Taboose but meant Shepherd, updated. And gracias.
trahsemaj
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by trahsemaj »

Taboose Creek road is not listed in the linked report - given the damage/flooding/closures reported all around it, any chance it might actually be open?
shampeon
Topix Acquainted

Post by shampeon »

trahsemaj wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:19 pm Taboose Creek road is not listed in the linked report - given the damage/flooding/closures reported all around it, any chance it might actually be open?
I don't think they listed any dirt roads in that closures list, so I would for sure try to confirm with Inyo NF that its accessible. The Lone Pine visitor center is closed right now due to plumbing issues (from the storm?), so try one of the other ranger stations.
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

I hope the forecast for opening Cottonwood pass trailhead is accurate with the August 28th estimate. My entry permit will be useless if we can't get to Cottonwood Pass.
Jeff
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JayOtheMountains »

JWreno wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:02 pm I hope the forecast for opening Cottonwood pass trailhead is accurate with the August 28th estimate. My entry permit will be useless if we can't get to Cottonwood Pass.
Know how we access the trails in the winter? We walk up the road. Some folks are entrepreneurial and ride their bikes!
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

Horseshoe Meadows roads is not open to vehicles but not pedestrians because of the heavy equipment still on the road. I am glad they took care of issues and reopened the road.
Jeff