Humphreys Basin, Piute Canyon 8/22-8/29

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Humphreys Basin, Piute Canyon 8/22-8/29

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi friends,

I do not have time now for a long TR since I am going back in next week, but wanted to share conditions ASAP.

We, my Jasmine Rose and I, were in Humphreys Basin, and Piute Canyon, 8/22-8/29. Mosquitos were quite thick and needed head net and LOTS of repellent in Piute Canyon and Desolation lake. The remainder of our journey I was fine with just repellent. (I used herbal, not chemical, and it worked.) The trail is pretty crowded with lots of JMT and other hikers but, as backpackers usually are, everyone was quite friendly and helpful sharing trail conditions. Flowers are OUTSTANDING!! Water, water everywhere and all of it clear and gorgeous!!! Wet crossings to my knees but all quite safe and manageable. The trail is a running stream for half the places. Ponds on the map are now lakes and there are ponds and creeks not on the map everywhere. Piute Creek is ROARING like a river and magnificent to see!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Athekev
Topix Newbie

Re: Humphreys Basin, Piute Canyon 8/22-8/29

Post by Athekev »

Thanks for the report! I will be in the area starting on 9/2. What are the snow conditions like in the area? I'll be going over Puppet Pass and over to Merriam Lake and Feather Pass. It looks like the Desolation Lake area still has some snow but is easily avoidable. Did you go over any high altitude passes and can speak to the snow pack? Trying to determine if snow traction is necessary.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Aura,

it looks like you caught conditions similar to Ian & Lizzie Harlen with a few more bugs at lower elevation. Hope your next jaunt is equally gorgeous1 Cameron
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi Athekev, Piute Pass had a snow field that was a very deep snow bridge. I wondered if there will be an unlucky hiker that breaks through or if it will just politely continue to melt from underneath. For now, it is easy enough without traction and, with all of the JMT hikers, dozens were passing through it without traction.
Yes, Desolation had a snowfield that was easily avoidable.
I spoke with two hikers who had gone over Puppet and Star col. I did not specifically ask, but they did not mention needing traction.The only additional input I can give you is that if Piute pass had not been such a gentle grade, traction WOULD have been necessary. When the sun was high, it was quite slippery.
Cameron, thank you for your advice ahead of the trip. The mosquitos, as we both expected, were voracious in Paiute Canyon. I missed out on Merriam but got to really enjoy the canyon and then go back to much fewer bugs at Golden Trout Lakes.