Info Request for Red Slate / Red and White mountain area

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
N1ck
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Info Request for Red Slate / Red and White mountain area

Post by N1ck »

Hi all - I'm planning a trip labor day week around Red Slate / Red and White mountain and would appreciate if anybody could provide any information regarding trail conditions, snowpack, if microspikes or crampons are needed, ect. Specifically interested in corridor pass, hopkins pass, grinnell col, bighorn pass, and shout of relief pass. I looked at sentinel imagery from 8-29 of the area and it looked like there was a decent amount of snow in the area, and I am wondering if I'll need to make some last minute trip changes. Thank you!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Info Request for Red Slate / Red and White mountain area

Post by cgundersen »

Nick,
Other folk have asked for info about those areas and I'd kind of expected some feedback by now, but have not seen anything. Hopkins pass normally has a pretty well-kept use trail, but this last winter may have been tough on it and it probably still has plenty of snow. It's a pretty steep climb, but I'm guessing several parties have been over it and it may not be so bad, especially if you give time for the snow to warm up. I'm not aware of anyone who has done Grinnell col. It has always looked much harder than the "Grinnell-Hopkins" ridge (which is written up in the XC passes section of HST). Bighorn and Shout of Relief are pretty easy off trail passes and I'd not worry about them. Ditto for Corridor. (A TR for that area I posted last year was resuscitated by others and is on the first page of the Backpacking section of HST; it shows the Grinnell-Hopkins ridge). Cameron