TR: Emigrant loop via Big Sam - 9/12/23 - 9/18/23

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Emigrant loop via Big Sam - 9/12/23 - 9/18/23

Post by scottmiller »

I've been to Long Lake twice, once from the south cross-country from the trail by Deer Lake. That was a long time ago, but I remember it as pretty easy. This trip we took the long way around and used the trail from the north. It was a good trail. There are some nice camping spots on the north west side. It's got little granite islands and all the stuff that goes into making a nice Emigrant lake.
When I was there several years ago, we went cross-country from Long Lake up to Granite Dome. That was a pretty easy hike with some interesting terrain just south of Granite Dome. Getting down from Granite Dome to Lewis Lake required some snow crossing, and then a bit of wading in the lake (for me, the others did some climbing). I have come down from Granite Dome to Ridge Lake, but it's not an easy route to find. The view from Granite Dome is pretty great and, according to a hunter we talked to, you get a full cell phone connection.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nifty route--that is quite the loop, to be sure. Those views from Big Sam are really nice.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveF
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by DaveF »

scottmiller and kpeter - thanks for the info on Long Lake! Definitely seems like a worthwhile destination in the Emigrant that doesn't get much attention.