Baxter Pass Trail as of 2023-09-01

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
treks
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Baxter Pass Trail as of 2023-09-01

Post by treks »

Thought I would post my observations of Baxter pass trail recently given the massive amount of snow in 2023 and the torrential rains and flooding on the east side of the Sierra, which heavily eroded roads to the trailheads.

Want to get this out of the way but holy crap this trail kicked my ass @ 6k feet in 6.5 miles. I would say even more than Whitney. Some of the inclines towards the pass were super steep and relentless. I knew it was going to be extremely difficult but wow.

In any case, both the road to Kearsarge and Baxter were closed but no gate across. We were able to take the road in without issue. Some deep rivulets and potholes on the dirt road carved out but nothing difficult to get around in a hatchback. There were 2 sedans at the trailhead as well. Obviously this is a sensitive issue with regards to getting to trailhead given road conditions. Inyo Roads Dept reported the road is passable. They don't declare these things as open though due to liability. It takes some common sense and discretion. Last thing to do is blindly barrel past the sign and get the car stuck in a deep hole and/or create a situation that inhibits Sherriff and Roads to do their job.

Give the low priority of Baxter compared to other trails, I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of the poor road and hiking trail conditions stayed around for at least another year (if not more).

https://caltopo.com/m/T11JH

The first segment of the trail was from trailhead to basecamp below the pass. Generally speaking, the creek lays in a deep gorge of varying depth along trail. A lot of it exacerbated by the 2023 snow conditions.

The first crossing was a bit below the knees and about 8 feet across at one of the wider openings. The current was strong but not a problem with poles and firmly positioning with each step. Further upstream there were weaker current crossings since the creek got broken up into several streams that would fork and join. I can only assume conditions would be more risky in late Spring.

The second crossing was similar but a bit wider. Also the way into the gorge containing the crossing took some straddling along the gorge angled wall through foliage and then under these massive ~5ft diameter logs. It is a bit awkward because there were a few logs like this stacked along the creekside and one slightly over the creek itself. Not sure if one served as a ad-hoc crossing before the snow. In any case it was a large break in the path that required assessment of the best crossing area and then taking a bearing back onto the path.

At about 8,600 feet the valley starts to open up.
  • There is a lot of overgrown foliage the entire way. I was constantly pushing myself through it. I would have to pause at times to make sure I was still on path. Looking at the root system (see two bushes joining), the greatest worn path, and dead reckoning hinted me in the right direction.
  • Felled logs frequently cover the path and require some walk around. Getting the general bearing of the path before going around usually brought me back to it. It is easy to veer off though, especially in areas without as much dense vegetation.
  • The massive amount of water has created a fork in the creek of equal volume and size to the original running north parallel (both seated in gorges). This also swallowed up the path in a few parts. Once I saw that the path fell off I would go towards the valley wall (north), proceed parallel and then angle back southwest until I found the path come back in again.
Moving towards basecamp, and out of, had similar trail conditions in terms of debris obstructions and dense foliage. Nothing new here. Cute little note, we got an awful cold front that came through creating pea sized hail, 45 mph winds and 78 mph gusts at basecamp. Had to hastily set up tents that were trying to blow away, then thrust into them, warm up and dry out. Like most all Sierra afternoon weather, it died down by evening.

There were a few sun cupped snowfields up around here, but nothing too problematic. Really a piece of cake by this point if you exclude the hellish incline and altitude gain. Once I hit the pass I made sure to yell "f Baxter Pass".

So in all, Baxter is pretty beat up and not in a well maintained state. I expect it to stay this way for 2024 season as well given the workload on the trail crews across the parks. Keeping on path required deliberation and caution when obstructions came up. Having a bit of cross country hiking experience helped me stay close to the intended path. There were some hikers we met that ended up getting a bit lost. Originally I wanted to go over the pass in a day but given what I know, it was the better move to stay at the basecamp overnight, then go over in the morning.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Baxter Pass Trail as of 2023-09-01

Post by Gogd »

Approaching Baxter Pass from the east is a test that separates the boys from the fools! Right? I was fortunate enough to make my first trip coming from the west, so learned this the easy way. Regardless, pretty much everything you share is still tough going downhill, too. I've been over that trail a number of times since the 1980s, the road was always in good condition, but I never considered the trail to be in great shape. Gotta love that section above base camp! Coming from above you don't see much of a trial, rather just stretches evident by the black skid marks from boots slipping on the steep rock surfaces.

Hope you made the effort worth it and got to Baxter Lakes and beyond. Do share, if so.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
treks
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Baxter Pass Trail as of 2023-09-01

Post by treks »

Oh man, it's that kind of trail where you need to hike it to really feel it. I agree, the downhill took some care, especially as my knees aren't too great. Also that last section along the ridge before you get to the very bottom is pretty steep (don't notice going up).

We were at the top lakes but didn't venture further down unfortunately due to time. The original plan was a one way from Kearsarge to Baxter but some guy in roads dept blocked the road with a bulldozer. It was strange too because he was allowing cars to come down and up to pickup and drop off people. He then said he would move at 4pm (when he stops working), even though the crew wasn't there. :\