TR: More bears than backpackers: a vacant Kings Canyon 2023

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tiesing
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: More bears than backpackers: a vacant Kings Canyon 2023

Post by tiesing »

The only road into Kings Canyon was closed during 2023 due to winter storm damage. Thus reaching the popular trails that start from the canyon floor was a much more challenging proposition. The shortest way into the canyon was via the Don Cecil trail from the south rim, a 5 mile hike that descends 3400 feet.

In late September I took a solo trip into the canyon for five days and it was really special to see this stunning national park without any cars. I saw three bears and only two other backpackers, thus, more bears than backpackers. The weather was terrific, the mosquitos minimal (though there were quite a few gnats in certain places), and the scenery was magnificent. The solitude was sublime. It was wonderful to enjoy the normally crowded Paradise Valley trail without any other hikers.

The hike out, going back up the Don Cecil trail, was not as arduous as I expected. The trail has a very even gradient and is never too steep. There are three stream crossings along the way so you don't have to overload yourself with water.

mamabear.jpg
Mama bear on the trail

mistfalls.jpg
Mist Falls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tie Sing was the USGS cook for Sierra expeditions in the late 1800's. Read more about Tie.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: More bears than backpackers: a vacant Kings Canyon 2023

Post by Lenier »

How was the condition of the trail leading into the canyon? I didn't attempt it out of an assumption it would likely be in pretty poor shape.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Thank you for this. We were planning to do this, but the summer got away from us, including doing 200 miles of the Camino de Santiago instead. I'm sorry to have missed this -- your report only makes me sorrier!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Yo, what a unique, one-time (or at least we think) sort of situation, a great job exploiting the opportunity! Kings Canyon is way less visited than Yosemite even under normal circumstances but 2023 is a special year indeed.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiesing
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tiesing »

Lenier wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:00 pm How was the condition of the trail leading into the canyon? I didn't attempt it out of an assumption it would likely be in pretty poor shape.
The Don Cecil trail was in good shape. Apparently a trail crew was being supplied by pack train via that trail, so it had been cleared of any down trees. The trail showed signs of stock traffic: manure and a trail bed beaten into sand in places.
Tie Sing was the USGS cook for Sierra expeditions in the late 1800's. Read more about Tie.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

Thanks for letting us all know, looks like I'll have to check it out for myself sooner rather than later!