stiffer penalties for late cancellations, no-shows at state campsites

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

stiffer penalties for late cancellations, no-shows at state campsites

Post by SSSdave »

Apparently legislators do sometimes listen to complaints we outdoor enthusiasts make.

Calif. law imposes stiffer penalties for late cancellations, no-shows at state campsites

https://www.sfgate.com/california-parks ... 418167.php

...Gov. Gavin Newsom signed Assembly Bill 618 over the weekend...For a cancellation within two to six calendar days before the reservation start date, the reservation-maker will be out the cost of one night as well as any reservation fees. Those who cancel within 24 hours or don’t show up at all will forfeit the cost of their entire reservation and fees, which can run in the hundreds of dollars depending on the location and duration of stay.

If a person fails to show up to three reservations booked online in one calendar year, they will be prohibited from making another reservation on ReserveCalifornia for one year from the day their third missed reservation was scheduled to begin
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: stiffer penalties for late cancellations, no-shows at state campsites

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Would be nice if USFS and Nat Parks did same.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

SSSdave wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:22 pm Apparently legislators do sometimes listen to complaints we outdoor enthusiasts make.
If a person fails to show up to three reservations booked online in one calendar year, they will be prohibited from making another reservation on ReserveCalifornia for one year from the day their third missed reservation was scheduled to begin.
I think this is the most important part of the new policy. Losing your camp fees for not showing up or cancelling is acceptable to a lot of people. Being blocked from making new reservations because you couldn't bother to cancel is more likely to change behavior. At the very least, it keeps the inconsiderate people from tying up spots during the year they are banned.

-Phil
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

All good news. I am sure this happened because we raised the issue here on HST. Kudos to Maverick and his team for their ongoing leadership on this key issue.

I think we should nominate him for president...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

balzaccom wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:46 am All good news. I am sure this happened because we raised the issue here on HST. Kudos to Maverick and his team for their ongoing leadership on this key issue.

I think we should nominate him for president...
:lol: