Editing posts option is missing?

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Editing posts option is missing?

Post by Harlen »

Is it just me, or are others having the same problem? I also cannot find the "Technical Problems and Questions" forum?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Re: Editing posts option is missing?

Post by copeg »

Harlen wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:32 am Is it just me, or are others having the same problem? I also cannot find the "Technical Problems and Questions" forum?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Ian.
I made a change to board settings recently to prevent editing after 60 minutes of original post time, so you should still be able to edit during this window of time but not after. I think we can be flexible on the length of this window (60 minutes was just pulled out of a hat), but keep in mind this setting was adjusted to place a constraint around a certain spam technique that appears to be on the rise as of late so the longer this window is the more at risk the forums are to spam inundation.

Unsure about your other question though...not sure we ever had a forum with that particular name, but this forum is used for things such as technical problems/questions.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

In Eric's post "Read This Before Posting:
he wrote: The first thing you need to do is check the Frequently Asked Questions section to see if your questions are answered there: faq.php
Still haven't found what you're looking for? Ok! Next, browse what other people have posted on the "Technical Problems & Questions" forum to see if someone else had the same problem and if it was solved.
That was a post in the forum: Website Support, Questions, Comments & Suggestions.

I don't understand the spam threat, though I'm sure you're onto it. I often complete my new posts- Trip reports in the early morning hours, and I look forward to further editing-- which means, fixing a lot of errors, early the next day. I will just have to edit better as I go, and, or, readers will get used to even more errors in my posts. :(

Thanks for the prompt reply Greg. Cheers, Ian.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Harlen wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:52 am I often complete my new posts- Trip reports in the early morning hours, and I look forward to further editing-- which means, fixing a lot of errors, early the next day. I will just have to edit better as I go, and, or, readers will get used to even more errors in my posts. :(

Thanks for the prompt reply Greg. Cheers, Ian.
Me too!
As life long dyslexic and now two time stroke veteran, I am going to have to reconsider how to go about making my screeds comprehendible, given the time limitations. I thought whatever the method previously employed did a good job of keeping the forums spam free, but then again I haven't the foggiest idea how much of that was automatic versus laborious efforts on the part of the admin to keep thins clean.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I often complete my new posts- Trip reports in the early morning hours, and I look forward to further editing-- which means, fixing a lot of errors, early the next day. I will just have to edit better as I go, and, or, readers will get used to even more errors in my posts.
Good excuse to start using “Grammarly”.😉
https://www.google.com/search?q=grammar ... ent=safari
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Maverick wrote:
Good excuse to start using “Grammarly”.😉
I guess so, whatever that is. I really do wish copeg could devise an option with which we could reopen our posts to not only fix errors, but also to polish the text, and include new information. Easy to say just get it right the first time, but it's not only that. I agonize over errors, and the inability to fix things. Isn't there some way to prevent the hackers without sacrificing our freedom to improve our work?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If spelling or grammar errors do not change the meaning, I do not change them. If there is a significant error to correct, I add the correction as a response. I sometimes add a few photos later. I too would like to do more direct editing, but I trust our forum managers are doing what is necessary. I hope they figure out something, but it is not a big deal for me.
copeg

Post by copeg »

I've extended the allowed edit time interval a bit, there's still a constraint in place but hoping it's enough that we can find a happy medium.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks copeg.
Apparently, you have added some hours leeway for our editing; can you tell us the exact number of hours we now have?
I often finish a Trip Report in the wee hours, and would prefer to edit with a clear mind in the morning of the next day. Will that be possible?

Is there any way that it could be set up so that we would have just one editing session (of an hour or so) open to us whenever we choose, or must it be a certain number of hours right after the post is submitted? The problem is, that I am afraid not to post when finished for fear that I will be logged out, and lose the images, and everything written. There is no saving the thing as a draft, without losing the images- right?

Greg, I am happy to place the onus back onto me, and just to practice better editing. This isn't a huge deal... as Nancy said, as long as it's easily understandable... for instance, no matter how one spells Kawihah, Kawea, or Kaweah Basin-- it's still a fantastic place to be.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Harlen wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:26 pm The problem is, that I am afraid not to post when finished for fear that I will be logged out, and lose the images, and everything written. There is no saving the thing as a draft, without losing the images- right?
Ian - I always prepare my trip reports or other long posts first in a text editing program on my computer, including the filenames of photos where I want them to appear (I just use the simple "Textedit" on my Mac). I can look this over and edit it repeatedly until I'm satisfied and save it on my computer. When ready to post, which could be the next day, I open a new post on HST, upload my photos as attachments, copy and paste my text, and then locate my cursor at each photo filename in the text and embed the attached photo inline at that point and then delete the filename from the text. This process only takes a few minutes. I use the "Preview" button to make sure everything looks okay, especially the photos being in the right places, and then submit.
-Phil