Mono Pass / Pioneer Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mt.eo
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Mono Pass / Pioneer Basin

Post by mt.eo »

Hi everyone! I failed at getting HST permits this morning for a 3-nighter in SEKI, but wound up with Mono Pass permits instead. That being said, I was wondering what lakes or points of interests are some of your favorites in the Mono Pass backcountry.

So far: 4th Recess Lake looks beautiful & so does the Pioneer Basin.

We are looking for our trip to be about 30-35 miles long. What lakes have the best fishing, and which are the best for photography in the area? I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on Laurel Lake and Lower Hopkins Lake. Additionally, if you have any strong opinions on campsite options, feel free to share! Any photos or insight helps! Thank you all! :D
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Mono Pass / Pioneer Basin

Post by balzaccom »

HI Mateo

Welcome! I would second those recommendations of both 4th Recess Lake and Pioneer Basin. You could easily spend a day exploring the basin alone.

As for fishing...4th Recess has hybrid golden/rainbows. The ones I caught in the outlet stream were small but gorgeously beautiful. Laurel and Grinell are full of brookies. The whole area is lovely, and as you climb one side of the canyon you usually get nice views of the other side---and ideas for where to go next!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Try Golden Lake, it sometimes produces nice goldens for fishing.

Texan
narc1370
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by narc1370 »

I second Golden Lake for the trout, but depending on the snow pack, could be a tough climb out of there back up to Summit Lake if you choose to go that route. I pulled some goldens out of Neelle lake a couple years ago as well..
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Depends on the dates of your trip.

In general, I was not impressed with Lower Hopkins. Third Recess is scenic but a dead-end destination- not much to do once there. At least from Fourth Recess you can day-hike to Pioneer Basin or Golden Lakes. Pioneer Basin is prettier when the vegetation is green- I did it early season when everything was brown and photos were pretty dismal. Laural Lake is a very scenic destination but the fish are very small. Grinnell Lake is a good day-hike and it is supposed to have better fishing. Also could day-hike to Rosy Finch Lake. The main problem with going to Laurel is that your time frame is pretty short to really enjoy it.

Do not forget that Ruby Lake is very scenic and also has fish. Most people just pass by, but I think it is a worth a visit either as a very short Day1 if you have along drive to get to the trailhead, or a last night so you can easily walk out and do a long drive home.
maxr22
Topix Acquainted

Post by maxr22 »

The big lake at 10,862 in pioneer summer of 2022 had fish but they were on the small side. I think golden hybrids.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

I've done a couple trips in that area. Both had stops at 4th Recess Lake which is amazing, and is a good spot for a first/last night of the trip based on its location.

Pioneer Basin has really easy cross country travel. It's really fun to explore the area but I didn't find it to be as scenic as I would have liked. I think the fact that it's just above the tree line doesn't help.

I remember the hike up to Hopkins Lake being quite enjoyable, but the lake at the top wasn’t that nice IMO. No real amazing destinations there but it was really nice hiking along the stream.

Laurel is the opposite. I found the initial part of the hike to be pretty rough, and the off-trail wasn’t all that fun. But once you get past a certain point and hit the high country, man is it beautiful. One of the nicest areas in the Sierra that I’ve been to.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

My trip report from a couple of years ago might be helpful.

viewtopic.php?p=173835#p173835