2024 Winter into Spring... skiing into photography

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

2024 Winter into Spring... skiing into photography

Post by SSSdave »

Over decades, has always surprised this person how few backpackers are alpine snow skiers despite the activity being about the most exhilarating visceral fun imaginable for we Earth monkeys. Yes it is true there are some cross country skiers that are backpackers that is also a great activity. I do think my backpacking and skiing complement each other that requires a strong torso and legs. It's great to be a retired still fit enough senior octogenarian to do these things.

From Wednesday March 6, 2024 at Little Dipper bump run at Heavenly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUHXQdjPcJo

From February 15, 2024 beside Gentle Ben shallow fresh powder run at Dodge Ridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbS6jgX2W2I

Now March 10, I'll soon be adding wildflower landscape photography into my activities as this spring is setting up to be one of the better ones this last decade. For those unfamiliar with the game, here is a good source of current information that shows wildflowers are already appearing in our Sonora Desert areas and Death Valley:

https://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/wildupdates.html
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2024 Winter into Spring... skiing into photography

Post by Gogd »

I retired my alpine set up forty years ago, when modern telemark ski and boot designs incorporated features that enhanced the ability to carve on edge, thus enhance control. I was able to ski any resort run I wished, up to the limits imposed when tele boot bindings interfere with ski edges contacting the slope on the few runs with such steep inclines. I found the lightweight telemark equipment less fatiguing by the end of the day, and had the advantage of allowing me to skin up and shuffle to runs that alpine skiers had to kick steps to reach. I still ski resort area runs, as a single day at the resort allows me to get a backcountry season's worth of downhill turns, which makes my backcountry skiing safer.

I found over time I enjoyed carving GS style turns more so than the sense of accomplishment one feels being able to jump turn down gonzo double-D lines. Furthermore, age imposed limitations (and wisdom) compel me to ski less challenging runs and reduce my speed, regardless I probably retain the skill to do otherwise. I still go off into the wilderness for winter trekking. I find these trips to be the most gratifying on-snow activity, albeit I ski in a rather conservative manner during these forays, using skis to get into the mountains, versus getting into the mountains to use my skis. That said, I think the best part of resort skiing is the social aspect, meeting new people on the lifts, the evening dining and hot soak activities.
(Hey! Santa! Pass us that bottle, will you?) - A Christmas Song by Ian Anderson, performed by Jethro Tull

Ed
I like soloing with friends.